Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mouse...Charger?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I used to have a Sony Discman (back in the good old days before skip protection and MP3 playback).

Nevertheless it did have a nice rechargeable battery that was in the shape of 2 AAs 69ing each other, but as one solid (read: "convenient") block. And to recharge it you just plugged in the AC adapter to the Discman. Almost never saw the battery.

I wish the Apple keyboard and Mouse had an elegant way to charge the batteries. Sure, it's nice that they accept regular batteries (as opposed to the iPod way of thinking) but in order to use rechargeable batteries I need to get clunky 3rd party chargers and batteries.

Any ideas on nice, elegant ways Apple could improve these products?

Yes I know the last thing we want is to be tethered while charging, (although charging could be done while not in use I suppose but I think that's unrealistic at least based on my own erratic usage schedule).

I like those charge pads that charge whatever you put down on them (provided they are designed for it) but maybe that's too ahead of it's time or unproven for Apple?

I guess what I want is an iPod cradle that accepts one single battery (whatever type). I'd even bite the bullet and buy special "Apple batteries" if they looked compelling enough. I mean if they had good life and snapped in easily.

I also want easier "snap and go". The Apple Wireless Mouse's battery lid falls away to easily, then I fumble with 2 batteries. So un-Apple and so-VCR remote. Yuck. And the Keyboard? Don't get me started. I don't want to have to flip it over ever. (Apple has spoiled me).

(Mind you I swear by both products, the first truly usable ones I've come across).

Till then I'll futz with the usual crappie batteries and recharger.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Replying to myself, pardon me, just one more thing...

The Newton 2100 had a gorgeous battery clip, snapped in just like a Glock 9mm clip

And it had a clip that held AAs too. Snap and go. So nice.

I don't want removable lids, screws, turning the product upside down, on/off buttons on the bottom. All of this must stop.

Please revamp these things Apple. I know you have the know how.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Lessee... I plan on putting a wire loop imbedded into my desk, and run AC power through it. With my keyboard on top, and a similar wire loop, I'll be charging my batteries in no time.

OK, so it isn't quite that simple, but it would really be sweet. Just have a 'charge spot' on the desk to induct power to your keyboard and mouse.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I guess the obvious options (regardless of drawbacks) are:

1. Charge pad. Mouse and Keyboard charge while sitting on it but are untethered and can be moved at any time. (Battery type could use any of the below)

2. iBook/Powerbook-type AC input jack. Plug into the Mouse and Keyboard to charge them. Special battery, proprietary, removable, rechargable, like a mini-laptop battery. Wire would be at the traditional location for wired mice and keyboards so they can be used while charging. (Least desirable since it means yet more adapters and wires.)

3. Clip-shaped proprietary battery as well as a clip for regular batteries or regular rechargeable batteries.

4. External charge base just for the proprietary clip battery? I'm not saying Apple should make a generic battery recharger. Frankly I don't want two batteries per device. Or four. I just want one shape that fits both. I can picture one battery type for both mouse and keyboard, that snaps in and out and can be snapped into a charge cradle.

Any other methods? (Aside from burning through disposable batteries or fumbling with 3rd party rechargeable?)
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Perhaps something like...

http://www.splashpower.com/

• Reply 5 of 6
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Any other methods? (Aside from burning through disposable batteries or fumbling with 3rd party rechargeable?)

How about charging via USB or FireWire? It's not like a keyboard and mouse need boatloads of power. It works for some of the Palm PDAs (over USB). It works for the iPod (over FireWire). Why not for a keyboard or mouse?

Escher
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

How about charging via USB or FireWire? It's not like a keyboard and mouse need boatloads of power. It works for some of the Palm PDAs (over USB). It works for the iPod (over FireWire). Why not for a keyboard or mouse?

Escher

I read elsewhere here today that FireWire's power is 5 volts?

Would be nice to be able to use the thin FireWire cables to just plug in during times you need to recharge. I mean, it wouldn't require another adapter adn the cables are standard.

I'm just not sure of FW's charging capabilities as far as Apple's Wireless Mouse and Keyboard are concerned.

I guess that until more and more devices can be powered though the pad it wouldn't be worth the surface area it would require? But I like the simplicity of charging via sitting on a surface.