If Apple made a mobile phone...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

I'm new here and thought I'd share what I've just spent all afternoon (whilst I should have been working) making. The idea's been buzzing round my head for ages so I though I'd finally make it in Photoshop.

Click here for bigger version

I've also just noticed other people have already had the same idea already

Oh well, enjoy anyway!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Welcome to AI!

Please note that an Apple phone might just be the most fruitless discussion that occurs on a weekly basis. This is about the 1000th thread on it. But anyways, no hard feelings from me.

Enjoy your stay.

-ipod
  • Reply 2 of 17
    /\ldie/\ldie Posts: 70member
    props for the rendering, but doesnt look revolutionairy to me in any way.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Shameless plug:

The buttons 2,4,5,6, and 8 are like the idrectional buttons on the iPod mini, while the 1,3,7,9 and 0 buttons only infringe a bit on the scroll wheel (which has cut outs for the buttons).

• Reply 4 of 17
    ~ufo~~ufo~ Posts: 245member
    welcome,

I do like the design over others I've seen.

IMHO if Appple were to make a phone, it would be an iPod hybrid.

at least, that's what I'm waiting for. would be great for in hte car too.

Music and phone hands free dock combined

all you need is a car stereo with ban aux in, which I have

enfin, the guy in the other post had a really good idea I thought.

using the scroll wheel from the iPods is a given.

he soilved the missing numerical pad problem by letting the touchscreen have a numeric pad mode.

check that thread: clicky hither

now a combination of the two designs would be a winner from my perspective. maybe you guys can team up and render something nice!

(hope the other guy is not pissed off about me telling you his idea, but hey, he post it )
  • Reply 5 of 17
    hypehype Posts: 2member
    I thought the same thing myself but couldn't get the buttons to sit comfortably. Looks good though!
  • Reply 6 of 17
    oh yeah, and outsider's one kicks royal hiney too !

good solution.

but I still think that numeric pad mode is really cool for the touch screen to have. Cos really, I don't use the numeric pad on my phone that much, except for speeddials and entering new numbers and addies.

so it would be nice to get rid of the hardware keypad and replace it with a software one controlled through the touchscreen and of course, activated by a single button.....

anyone agree?
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by ~ufo~

oh yeah, and outsider's one kicks royal hiney too !

good solution.

but I still think that numeric pad mode is really cool for the touch screen to have. Cos really, I don't use the numeric pad on my phone that much, except for speeddials and entering new numbers and addies.

so it would be nice to get rid of the hardware keypad and replace it with a software one controlled through the touchscreen and of course, activated by a single button.....

anyone agree?

On the drawing table it sounds like a good idea (I've seen some phones that have a complete screen interface) but nothing beats the tactile feedback a button provides in my opinion. Also, buttons take the brunt of the wear on a phone, displacing this to the screen would be an unnecessary wear on the (expensive) screen. Maybe it can work with a dura-screen protection cover that also offers some tactile response?
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

On the drawing table it sounds like a good idea (I've seen some phones that have a complete screen interface) but nothing beats the tactile feedback a button provides in my opinion. Also, buttons take the brunt of the wear on a phone, displacing this to the screen would be an unnecessary wear on the (expensive) screen. Maybe it can work with a dura-screen protection cover that also offers some tactile response?

what about you picture your current design but without the numeric keys and you have a module eject from the bottom which has the numeric pad and also houses the mic.

that way you would effectively just be wearing an iPod.

if you were to receive a call you could answer it with a push on the head buds' remote (the head buds would of course then have this plus an integrated mic).

if you would receive a call when not using the ipod, you could just push a button on the side and the numeric/mic pad slides out so that you can use it as a regular phone.

of course I haven't seen traces of mics or speakers on your designs.

I must admit I have never been a fan of cellphones that open but that is mainly because it's the speaker part that folds out making for a very flimsy and thin device to hold against my ear, it just doesn't feel right to me.

however, I see no problem in a mic/numeric module shooting out the bottom like a stilletto...... other than the fact that it would use space and might prove to be a dodgy mechanism....

maybe you could have an opening numeric/mic pad that would face the back of the device when closed, with all the phone buttons and functions. the keys would be locked by default in that position of course, since you are likely to wear the iPhod ( ) on your belt or so.

that way it wouldn't use any of the internal space of the iPod.

when closed, you'd have the iPod controls on the front and the Phone controls on the back, which would have a one or two line lcd to permit entering of numbers when the device is closed.

open it up and you have the ipod section on top and the numeric mic section on the bottom. downside on this is that the phone part would be upside down on the back when closed.....

just brainhash here...... I'm off the weed, so my brain is going loopy
  • Reply 9 of 17
    hey, man, that looks like an iPo...oh.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

hey, man, that looks like an iPo...oh.

nice signature
  • Reply 11 of 17
    hehe, thanks man.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Any Apple Phone will combine PDA functions as well - Jobs is on record as saying he believes that's where we're headed.

A Phone's PDA functions are useless unless you can enter info on the road.

The Treo 600 solves this problem with the thumb-board, and Palm can't seem to make enough of them.

So basically Apple would need an elegant thumb-board design, which is why I couldn't believe they didn't buy the rights to the Fastap keyboard when it was offered first to them.

(Note: Apple could implement a much nicer version than Telus has.)
  • Reply 13 of 17
    I think that if we combined Outisder's button layout with hype's screen and body, it's be totally awesome
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

Shameless plug:

The buttons 2,4,5,6, and 8 are like the idrectional buttons on the iPod mini, while the 1,3,7,9 and 0 buttons only infringe a bit on the scroll wheel (which has cut outs for the buttons).

http://www.angelfire.com/mac/outside...hone_green.jpg

What's with the blank button above 2? Could you make a rectangular button (like the one hype has) to combine "Menu" and "C" (What's that for?)
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

What's with the blank button above 2? Could you make a rectangular button (like the one hype has) to combine "Menu" and "C" (What's that for?)

The blank button is the action button. It does what is displayed above it. "Talk" in this case. It also is used to end the call, and any other function that is display assigned.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    It would be nice if Apple made a phone just as a concept. Something to show the others how to do it right. Maybe a few companies would then license the interface and firmware.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

Any Apple Phone will combine PDA functions as well - Jobs is on record as saying he believes that's where we're headed.

A Phone's PDA functions are useless unless you can enter info on the road.

The Treo 600 solves this problem with the thumb-board, and Palm can't seem to make enough of them.

So basically Apple would need an elegant thumb-board design, which is why I couldn't believe they didn't buy the rights to the Fastap keyboard when it was offered first to them.

(Note: Apple could implement a much nicer version than Telus has.)

I agree. It would have to be a hybrid Treo600 with iPod functionality. The treo600 is awesome. This has a potential in future to cut into the ultra portable laptop sales though.