Hard Drive Swap Question

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok tried this under genious bar with no responce. Perhaps you all have an answer.

I am being given an old Lime iMac. I currently have a bondi with an upgraded hard drive. If I swap the hard drive in the bondi with the one in the Lime iMac and start up, will it work? is there anything more to do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by salmonstk

Ok tried this under genious bar with no responce. Perhaps you all have an answer.

I am being given an old Lime iMac. I currently have a bondi with an upgraded hard drive. If I swap the hard drive in the bondi with the one in the Lime iMac and start up, will it work? is there anything more to do?

Are you running OS X? If so, you shouldn't have any problems. OS 9 may or may not have problems, I'm not sure.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    It should work fine, though it's always best to do a clean install.

I did the same thing with my dads classsic 2. Hard-drive from dead classic 2 to a second hand classic 2 with system 7. You'll have to rebuild the desktop if you not on OSX.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by cybermonkey

It should work fine, though it's always best to do a clean install.

I did the same thing with my dads classsic 2. Hard-drive from dead classic 2 to a second hand classic 2 with system 7. You'll have to rebuild the desktop if you not on OSX.

OS 9, whats that???

Yes Panther all the way... Thanks for the advice.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I find OS9 easier and less picky than OSX when it comes to the system restoration, backup, and troubleshooting. So if OSX can do it, OS 9 can too. Still, I use OS X most of the time now.8)
  • Reply 5 of 6
    m.o.s.tm.o.s.t Posts: 255member
    I heard the #1 thing that goes wrong with iMac are the power slupply.... might check here
  • Reply 6 of 6
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Some of your apps might not work. I think some are dependent on the machine's ID.

Like I think macromedia apps won't work and you might need to reauthorize your iTunes songs if any.

Not sure but something to ask about. Anyone know if I'm right?

Anyway at least you'll have them both next to each other and can switch back if necessary. Just try all your apps before you think all is well.