Airport Configuration

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm trying to set up my Airport as a remote base station. The problem is that my other wireless point isn't an Airport, but a D-Link router. So is it possibly, and if so, what do I have to have the settings at to have it do this? It finds Dl-614+ wireless router and I select that as the main base station.

All I want is to have my Airport extend the distance the signal can go because I'd like all my property to be able to be reached, and maybe even help boost the signal. So any ideas?

Edit: The actual airport says it's IP is (169.254.106.242) and not like the IP that my d-link gives out (192.168.0.xxx). Shouldn't the airport be a client of my wireless router like I am?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    regreg Posts: 832member
    What you are looking to do is set up the airport as a bridge. I have mine connected up to a linksys wireless router by the ethernet connection. Apple gives a good set of directions at http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120228 . This is for the extreme but the set up should be the same for a regular airport.

Things to make sure of:

1. Use different channels for each wireless

2. In Airport Admin Utility - internet pane -

Connect using ethernet, if that is how you are connecting to your router.

3. In Internet pane - configure - select - using DHCP

4. In Network pane - deselect the Distribute IP addresses box.

That is all I had to change on mine when I went from a dial up to using it as a bridge.

reg
  • Reply 2 of 2
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Thanks...that will probably work, but I need to have it connect wirelessly, not through a physical ethernet cable. Maybe that is what you meant and I misunderstood, I'll check out the link.