Last Generation PBooks at Apple Store with further Edu Discount - Good Deal or Not?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello all,

I almost purchase a PowerBook today. Not the new ones, but the previous generation. I went to the Apple store today to check out the new units (don't have on display yet), I noticed the previous generation were on the shelf with further education discount. Here were the units:

PowerBook 15" - 1.25 GHz with 2X SuperDrive, 512 MB RAM, 80 GB HD, 64MB Video Card, FireWire 400, 800, USB 2.0, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth, and back-light keyboard. My price $2099

PowerBook 15" - 1 GHz with Combo Drive, 256 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, 32MB Video Card, FireWire 400, 800, USB 2.0, Airport Extreme ready, Bluetooth, and no back-light keyboard. My price $1599

I thought they were awesome deals unit I went home and looked at the current stuff:

PowerBook 15" - 1.33 GHz with 4X SuperDrive, 512 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, 64MB Video Card, FireWire 400, 800, USB 2.0, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth, and back-light keyboard. My price $2229

PowerBook 15" - 1.33 GHz with Combo Drive, 256 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, 64MB Video Card, FireWire 400, 800, USB 2.0, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth, and no back-light keyboard. My price $1799

$130 saving on the 15" PB w/ SuperDrive but I sacrifice 2X v. 4X SuperDrive, newer video card, and 83 MHz but gain an additional 20 GB.

$200 saving on the 15" PB w/ Combo Drive but I sacrifice 333 MHz, newer video card (with more video memory 32 v. 64) and an AirPort Extreme card.

I no longer think these units are that good of a deal. Thoughts? Advice?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Sounds to me like you get more for the money with the new ones. But less money is less money. If you can afford to wait a bit and want a better value, I agree that the new PBs sound nicer than the older models.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Sounds to me like you get more for the money with the new ones. But less money is less money. If you can afford to wait a bit and want a better value, I agree that the new PBs sound nicer than the older models.

Thanks. That is what I thought too.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

you have the best sig!

ya, go with the new pbo's