old mac games on OS X?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
will old Mac games such as Solarian II, Warcraft, Marathon series, SuperMaze Wars, Space Invaders, Specter Challenger, Maelstrom, A10 Attack LE (?), and Spin Docter work in Panther 10.3.3?

p.s. i tend to think the answer is no, since there is a program called Basilisk II

http://www.uni-mainz.de/~bauec002/B2Main.html#download

i'm so confused

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    I haven't had much luck runnung Marathon in Classic mode, so I keep an OS9 boot on my old cube for Trilogy fixes and the occasional Doom.

Aleph One is pretty sweet though. It gets a little wonky with the M Infinity spin-offs sometimes (ie: Rubicon, Red, Evil, etc.), but runs the Trilogy quite well.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Basilisk is an emulator to run System 7 or OS 8 on a PC. There aren't any PowerPC emulators for x86 machines, so the best they can do is emulate a Quadra (which can run up to OS 8.1). That's still good for many games, though, such as Escape Velocity, which was Mac-only until recently.

I think you'll have mixed results trying those various games in Classic mode or while booted into OS 9. Some might work, some will work but only partially, others might not work at all. There are a lot of old games like that which will work fine except they won't have sound. Others will go really really fast because their speed is directly tied into the clock speed (although that doesn't seem too common).

Oh, by the way, Maelstrom has been ported to OS X, and it's free.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/6151
  • Reply 3 of 20
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    spin doctor works great in classic... but I use basilisk for lemmings and other games that don't seem to work correctly in X...
  • Reply 4 of 20
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Comeon Dynopark Tycoon buttons!
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Moving to Software...
  • Reply 6 of 20
    i found my old copies of descent 1 & 2 recently, tried installing them on my 867g4. installed great but played waaaaay too fast, it was so fast it was unplayable, i couldnt manuver worth s**t.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    I miss dome wars

those were the days!

is there an OS X counterpart?
  • Reply 8 of 20
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

i found my old copies of descent 1 & 2 recently, tried installing them on my 867g4. installed great but played waaaaay too fast, it was so fast it was unplayable, i couldnt manuver worth s**t.

Check out the OS X native version of Descent 2 on Version Tracker. It's also compatible with the data files from Descent 1, too. It plays perfectly on a Dual-1.25 Ghz G4 under 10.3.3.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20806
  • Reply 9 of 20
    hmmmmm, shall i buy an old PB along with my new G4 just to play these games? OMG, the memories they bring back...
  • Reply 10 of 20
    heifetzheifetz Posts: 26member
    You can find tons of old games at Macintosh Garden ::

http://mac.the-underdogs.org/

.h
  • Reply 11 of 20
    but don't they run on PCs with an emulator? or run on Macs, but won't work on OS X?
  • Reply 12 of 20
    No, they run perfectly on OsX (in Classic mode). Or at least the ones I've tried do(Lemmings, Full Metal Planete, Monkey Island).

.h
  • Reply 13 of 20
    assuming the games don't work in classic mode, could a person run a Mac emulator on OS X, then run System 7 OS and then finally play some older Mac games?
  • Reply 14 of 20
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmo

I miss dome wars

those were the days!

is there an OS X counterpart?

http://www.ns-software.com/DomeWars/
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Maelstroem was ported back in the 10.0 or 10.1 days... So its available now.

Marathon is running on an Open Source engine, with some support for newer 3D features. Its quite nice actually, you should check it out! Its called Aleph One and you can check it out here: Aleph One
  • Reply 16 of 20
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Classic Games

Download the Mac versions for free!
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

assuming the games don't work in classic mode, could a person run a Mac emulator on OS X, then run System 7 OS and then finally play some older Mac games?

Uh, sorry I don't know Sounds a bit too complicated though... \

.h
  • Reply 18 of 20
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    I heard there is a Happy Weed version coming to Mac OS X...
  • Reply 19 of 20
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    After the Chopper thread, I was reminded of a game from the 80's I played in college, I just found it again. Armor Alley. I was never able to beat this game. Time to try again.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    I have a demo disc with loads of games on that i used to use on my old imac ( you know the ones with the colour backs that you could see through) like spin doctor and lemmings and civilisation and loads of other stuff, but now on my G5 they wont work, and everytime i try to play them it says something like classic will not do it blah blah blah and i just wondered if there was some software thing that i could download for free on the internet, i know its unlikely but u never know, i really miss the games! and ive tried readin other comment and working out what to do but its all confusing computer speak =s

either that or does anyone know if either spin doctor or the tinies (I think thats what it was called) or civilisation is on an online gaming website????

xx