installed more RAM and now I can't launch an app

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just installed an additional 512MD of RAM (DDR 333) in my G4 Tower, for a total of 1 GB.

I am a music producer (Total Kaos Records - a Freestyle dance music label) and I run Propellerhead's Reason 2.5

Reason was running just fine before I added the addition RAM. Now when I try to launch the appication I get this error: "Can not register program Since you do not have full access rights to this computer, the program can't be registered. Please contact your system administrator."

I have tried repairing permissions and that didn't work. I have also tried to change the settings in the "Get Info" screen which didn't work either.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Does taking out the RAM cause Reason to work again?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Also is the memory showing up is system profiler? And is the original stick of ram the original one from apple? Most of the G4 Towers use 266 or 233 (one of those) Although a 333 will work fine there have been reported problems when using a 333 next to the original apple one.The solution is too replace the original.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

Does taking out the RAM cause Reason to work again?

No. When I first launched Reason without the additional memory, I was prompted to insert one of Reason's installer discs (Orkester Disc). Once I did that, I received the same message as before and continued to get that error when I would attempt to relaunch the application.

Quote:

Originally posted by cybermonkey

Also is the memory showing up is system profiler? And is the original stick of ram the original one from apple? Most of the G4 Towers use 266 or 233 (one of those) Although a 333 will work fine there have been reported problems when using a 333 next to the original apple one.The solution is too replace the original.

The memory is showing up in the System Profiler just fine. The specs on Apple's website show that this machine ships with 256MB of DDR 333 RAM. The original RAM from Apple is 333 as is the additional 256MB I purchased when I bbought this machine brand new a few weeks ago. All 3 of my memory cards (the 2 256s I already had and the new 512) are registering as PC2600U-25330 in the System Profiler.

I still can not launch Reason. The weird thing is, I am the only person that uses this computer. There is only one account on the machine. ow they hell can I not have "full rights to this computer"? I hate to say it, but I never had these kind of problems in Jaguar. I have noticed other things, like Panther not allowing me to write to my desktop a times, saying it's "locked" when it's not. I'm frustrated because now this is setting me back. I have some projects that I need to work on. (sorry had to vent).
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Did you do an upgrade when you installed panther? People have had probs when doing the upgrade route, It's always best to do a clean install.

Anyways, Besides that i don't think this is a memory problem, but seeing as you said you have problems writing to the desktop occasionally i would assume you do have permission problems of some kind going on. Personally i'm be tempted to just do a clean install of panther and see how it gets on, But you might not be willing to do that.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    The machine shipped with Panther, but I actually reformatted the hard drive and did a "clean install" of Panther the day after I bought the computer. I "repair permissions" on a regular basis (every few days) and everything else seem to be running fine. I guess I could do another clean install - how wold you suggest I back up my apps?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I went with the clean install.

All is right with the world.