My heart goes out to North Korea today

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Thousands die in accident/blast in North Korea

North Koreans are living in the armpit of Hell-on-earth and they suffer non-stop oppression and misery . . . and then something like this happens that just rubs the salt into the wounds.

My heart goes out to them, I hope that you can put a thought outward into the universe for these poor people . . . .

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    To be quite honest, I briefly hoped that Kim Jong Il had died on his way back from China. It would have been sad that so many other people died in the process, but cosidering the hundreds of thousands of people who have died in Kim's gulags, then I won't be sad to see that guy go even if innocents died in the process. Before you flame me for being an insensitive clod, read the link.

As it is, Kim didn't die and so it just is one more tragedy for that nation to have to bear. I have alot of second generation Korean friends who hope that one day the (real) DPRK will be free and the people there will not be oppressed. I hope for the same as well.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Something about this stinks of news management. I saw the place on the TV ... it's tiny. What I don't understand is this:

Two planes demolish two of the tallest buildings in downtown Manhattan. Holocaust.

'Only' 3000 people die.

Two trains collide in a station in a tiny town.

'Only' 3000 people die.

Something isn't right here ... my tin-foil hat is put on purely by the fact that NK is a brutal Soviet-style place where the news agencies lie and massive problems are covered up (sometimes with the complicit assistance of our security forces when it makes sense).
  • Reply 3 of 4
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    NK shut off phone service to try and keep teh news from getting out. . . . supposedly.

Where did you see pictures?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

Something about this stinks of news management. I saw the place on the TV ... it's tiny. What I don't understand is this:

Two planes demolish two of the tallest buildings in downtown Manhattan. Holocaust.

'Only' 3000 people die.

Two trains collide in a station in a tiny town.

'Only' 3000 people die.

Something isn't right here ... my tin-foil hat is put on purely by the fact that NK is a brutal Soviet-style place where the news agencies lie and massive problems are covered up (sometimes with the complicit assistance of our security forces when it makes sense).

Nope. 'Up to 3000 killed *or injured*' Slight difference.

Also, what's the population of Ryongchon?

Edit: Thinking not that small... it looks to be just a few miles south of Sinjuiju, and the population of N. Pyongang Province is 2.4M. (http://210.145.168.243/pk/087th_issue/99032501.htm)