RAM for 12" Powerbook 1.33

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
After living with my 15.2" 1.25 Superdrive AlBook for a month, I've decided that the added features (and screen size) are less beneficial than the compactness of my old 12" AlBook. (I eagerly await a 13.3" widescreen G5 Powerbook.)

I'm getting rid of the 15.2" and I am going to replace it with the newly announce 1.33 12". Backlit keys, FW800, and PCMCIA slot be damned.

So, now that you know the completely inconsequential back-story ...

I am going to max out the memory on the 12". I am not going to give Apple over $1000 (Canadian) to do so.

From past experiences, can someone please advise the best place to buy a 1GB PC2700 SO-DIMM? Cost is obviously important, but I am more concerned about complete compatibility. I have read recent stories about problems with Kingston's RAM, and want to avoid similar problems.

I believe that the 12" is now using the same memory that the 15.2" and 17" used in the last generation, so anyone who has maxed out those machines can let me in on their successes.

Also, considering that I am living in Canada, I would prefer not to have to have the memory shipped trans-border. I pay enough taxes already.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    i plan on getting my RAM for the new rev C 12" PB from Crucial; i heard alot of good things about them
  • Reply 2 of 18
    jonkjonk Posts: 2member
    I just picked my brand spankin new PB 12 inch 1.33 up on Friday. And I actually was talking to the apple rep about memory. He told me that right now Crucial is good but the cheap memory that Compusa is selling is working very well in all the Macs out right now. And it sure is working well for me too. It was around $110 for a 512MB dimm and it is doing great.

I LOVE THIS THING!!!!
  • Reply 3 of 18
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I'm going to get a 512 stick from Crucial when I get my 12"
  • Reply 4 of 18
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    how hard is it to install 3rd party ram in the 12 incher?
  • Reply 5 of 18
    jonkjonk Posts: 2member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

how hard is it to install 3rd party ram in the 12 incher?

Very very easy....You just unsrew the four screws on the small bottom plate and stick it in. Took about 5 minutes.

-JONK
  • Reply 6 of 18
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

[B

Also, considering that I am living in Canada, I would prefer not to have to have the memory shipped trans-border. I pay enough taxes already. [/B]

I too was worried about this when I was bumping up the RAM in my iBook last month. But when I compared domestic brand-name RAM prices (such as Kingston) to Crucial, even with the exchange rate, the shipping and the mysterious fees FedEx tacked on, the Crucial order proved to be cheaper.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    thinkthink Posts: 14member
    I assume the PowerBooks take 200 pin so-dimm memory?

Link

That's what I'm looking at picking up for my 12" PB, assuming it'll work.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Think

I assume the PowerBooks take 200 pin so-dimm memory?

Link

That's what I'm looking at picking up for my 12" PB, assuming it'll work.

Well, given the two reviews at that link from some PB users are less than stellar for that memory, I wouldn't say that it works all that well
  • Reply 9 of 18
    thinkthink Posts: 14member
    Yes, I just noticed those reviews as well. But that memory aside, 200 pin DDR333 so-dimm's are what the PB's use, correct?
  • Reply 10 of 18
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Think

Yes, I just noticed those reviews as well. But that memory aside, 200 pin DDR333 so-dimm's are what the PB's use, correct?

Yep, the current PB's all use that type of memory.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Anyone had any experience using the Kingmax 1GB stick in the Powerbook? I want to get a gig for my 12" and this is the only stick which appears to be available for a reasonable price round here.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    brand new 12" rev c 1.3 powebook here...

purchased a 528 stick of Ram from Crucial (with tax & shipping was about 135 dollars or so).

Easy enough to install provided you have a "00" philips micro screwdriver to unscrew the ram access door.

Works perfectly, and SIGNIFICANTLY increases the performance of the powerbook.

I liked my powerbook with just 256 megs..but with the additional 512 it rocks!

Only thing I don't like about the new rev c powerbooks is the lower quality screen they use now. I upgraded from a nearly 3 year old 500 mhz ibook which has much nicer LCD screen than the new powerbooks.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NYCFarmboy1

Only thing I don't like about the new rev c powerbooks is the lower quality screen they use now. I upgraded from a nearly 3 year old 500 mhz ibook which has much nicer LCD screen than the new powerbooks.

Again, this makes me want to cry.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    copsecopse Posts: 64member
    I'm getting rid of the 15.2" and I am going to replace it with the newly announce 1.33 12". Backlit keys, FW800, and PCMCIA slot be damned.

Um, the 12"-model has no backlit keyboard
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Copse

Um, the 12"-model has no backlit keyboard

I read that wrong too at first, but he was saying that he doesn't care about those features, and will still take the 12".
  • Reply 16 of 18
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremiah Rich

I read that wrong too at first, but he was saying that he doesn't care about those features, and will still take the 12".

Yes, exactly. I was saying, "Damn them, I don't want 'em".

The backlit keyboard was the least useful, and sometime most annoying feature I've ever had on a laptop. I turned it off completely after one week of owning it.

I have no FW800 devices, and don't foresee a need for one - at least until I upgrade the machine again.

I have 1 PC Card device, a 4-In-1 card reader. I'll just get a FW or USB cardreader.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    beigeanbeigean Posts: 10member
    audiopollution,

as for RAM, i've bought mine from Coast to Coast Memory for the last 4 Macs i've had, including a new 15". they have consistently cost the least, and they don't sell junk. the RAM i got for my powerbook is Samsung, the same as the stock Apple RAM.

enjoy the new powerbook
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by beigean

audiopollution,

as for RAM, i've bought mine from Coast to Coast Memory for the last 4 Macs i've had, including a new 15". they have consistently cost the least, and they don't sell junk. the RAM i got for my powerbook is Samsung, the same as the stock Apple RAM.

enjoy the new powerbook

I ordered from them and both the modules they sent were defective. They made me pay return shipping on both. Terrible service. Just awful. Avoid them at all costs. They actually blamed the defective memory on electro-magnetic disturbances caused by the delivery person being near a thunderstrom somewhere en route. Crackheads.