pwr book or ibook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
14 inch ibook as configured by me in edu store.

? 512MB DDR266 (256MB built-in & 256MB SO-DIMM)

? 60GB Ultra ATA drive

? SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

? AirPort Extreme Card

? Keyboard/Mac OS X - U.S. English

? 14.1-inch TFT XGA display

? 1.2GHz PowerPC G4

? ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 w/ 32MB DDR video memory

Subtotal $1,669.00

12 inch powerbook, also custom in edu store

? 512MB DDR333 (256MB built-in + 256MB SO-DIMM)

? 60GB Ultra ATA drive @ 4200rpm

? SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

? AirPort Extreme Card

? Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English

? 1.33GHz PowerPC G4

? NVIDIA GeForce FX GO 5200 with 64MB DDR Video Memory

? 12.1-inch TFT Display

Subtotal $1,689.00

seems like the powerbook is more $ for less computer, a 12 inch screen? why is the high end of the laptops, the powerbook, more expnsive than an ibook and has less features?

seems odd, guess the ibook is better than Pbooks - so my question - what is the advantage of the Pbook, other than a better graphics chip, and is the 12 inch display as small as it seems for everyday use(word, xcode, itunes, web, email or anything else that a CIS student needs to run?

ps.

I am a windows user contemplateing buying a mac for the first time(a garage sale 3 years ago not withstanding) so any other tips/tricks are appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    It all depends on what you need to do with your machine. Speaking from experience here, that PB will trounce the iBook in tearms of performance. 5400RPM HD vs. 4200 in the iBook. 1.0 vs. 1.33ghz. System bus is larger in the PB. The VRAM in the PB will be a noticeable difference. Mini DVI out is great. iBook has no audio input. No bluetooth on the iBook.

My money is going to the PB. Remember, iBook is a consumer machine, PB is a pro machine. If you don't need the pro power, go with the iBook.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

seems like the powerbook is more $ for less computer, a 12 inch screen? why is the high end of the laptops, the powerbook, more expnsive than an ibook and has less features?

seems odd, guess the ibook is better than Pbooks - so my question - what is the advantage of the Pbook, other than a better graphics chip, and is the 12 inch display as small as it seems for everyday use(word, xcode, itunes, web, email or anything else that a CIS student needs to run?

ps.

I am a windows user contemplateing buying a mac for the first time(a garage sale 3 years ago not withstanding) so any other tips/tricks are appreciated.

Let's get this cleared up right now: the 12" screen of the powerbook (or ibook for that matter) shows EXACTLY the same amount of information as the 14" does. They all have 1024x768 resolution so the only thing different is that things will be *bigger* on the 14". You won't see any more stuff. IMO, the 12" screen is superior because things are much sharper. But my vision is good so I don't need things to be big.

The 12" powerbook is STILL the reigning champ of value in Apple's line up. People just get the 14" screen confused with better.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    My vision isnt the greatest (pushes up coke bottle glasses ) I find 800x600 to be the best res on a 12 inch pc, how does mac compare? it seems like windows was made for 1024x768, and nothing else, higher res==everything is TINY, unless you have great vision, do the mac laptops work better/clearer at higher res than windoze laptop?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

My vision isnt the greatest (pushes up coke bottle glasses ) I find 800x600 to be the best res on a 12 inch pc, how does mac compare? it seems like windows was made for 1024x768, and nothing else, higher res==everything is TINY, unless you have great vision, do the mac laptops work better/clearer at higher res than windoze laptop?

If you're on an LCD screen, the native resolution is really the only workable one. Otherwise it's all fuzzy. I've never had a problem with the 1024*768 resolution on my powerbook and it'd be torturous to use OS X at anything less than that. There's just too much stuff. I can't really speak for resolution differences wrt mac vs pc but I'd imagine they both look as good as possible in the LCD's native resolution.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    iBook 14": 256MB PC2100 (266MHz) DDR SDRAM

PowerBook 12": 256MB of PC2700 (333MHz) DDR SDRAM <- faster

iBook 14": 1.2GHz PowerPC G4

PowerBook 12": 1.33GHz PowerPC G4 <- faster

iBook 14":

Size and weight:

Height: 1.35 inches (3.42 cm)

Width: 12.7 inches (32.3 cm)

Depth: 10.2 inches (25.9 cm)

Weight: 5.9 pounds (2.7 kg)

PowerBook 12":

Size and weight:

Height: 1.18 inches (3.0 cm) <- smaller

Width: 10.9 inches (27.7 cm) <- smaller

Depth: 8.6 inches (21.9 cm) <- smaller

Weight: 4.6 pounds (2.1 kg) with battery and optical drive installed <- lighter

iBook 14":

ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 graphics processor with 32MB of dedicated video memory.

PowerBook 12": NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 graphics processor 64MB of DDR SDRAM video memory. <- faster/better

and: Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports up to 1024 by 768 pixels on the built-in display and up to 2048 by 1536 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors <- PowerBook only

Many others, but you get the picture.

The powerbook is more money for more computer and has more features.

It is merely physically smaller (and this makes it a premium product). That it shares 1024x768 with both the 12" and 14" iBooks doesn't make it a lesser PowerBook. It is lighter, smaller and faster and that makes it cost/worth more.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I'm having a tough time figuring out how you came to that conclusion a_greer. It seemed to me from the specs you posted that the powerbook's value was proven. The iBook is a great machine but aside from physical screen size and $20 difference in price the Powerbook wins pretty solidly.

Bluetooth is another feature the Powerbook has that cost extra on the iBook.

DVI and monitor spanning on the Powerbook are compelling features to me. (you can span on the iBook too but must use the hack and the Powerbook has more VRAM to make this work better anyhow).

Keyboard - the Powerbook has a better keyboard (unless this has been addressed on the newer iBooks?)

Physical size of the machine. I had a Dell laptop with 14" screen prior to my iBook 12" and the smaller machine wins without question. A laptop is only useful if it is with you and I am much more likely/willing to lug a small, light machine than some 7 or 8 pound machine.

I'm strongly considering upgrading from my 700MHz iBook and would love to stick with something close in size. The screen on the iBook is fine in daily use and I have a 19" CRT/keyboard/mouse at home to hook up to if I need to work in a more "desktop-like" environment.

Honestly though, both are good machines. I think the Powerbook *may* hold value a bit better and be useful a bit longer. In the end try them both and see how you like each.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    The powerbooks also have better speakers and a *much* nicer keyboard and trackpad.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    My vote is the new 12" Pbook. The better video card will scale down to 800x600 for you no prob, and the expandability is a major plus. Also, you get built in Bluetooth with Pbooks.

On another note, you won't regret switching to Mac's.

-ipod
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

My vote is the new 12" Pbook. The better video card will scale down to 800x600 for you no prob, and the expandability is a major plus. Also, you get built in Bluetooth with Pbooks.

On another note, you won't regret switching to Mac's.

-ipod

I agree that the powerbook is a better deal, but your reasons suck. Any video card will be able to do 800*600 without a problem and neither the ibook nor the powerbook could be considered "expandable".
  • Reply 10 of 11
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

...and neither the ibook nor the powerbook could be considered "expandable".

unless you have balls of steal, a few less brain cells than most and a love for voiding warentys, aw hell if any of those applyed, i would just get an HP

one thing in particular, if anyone knows, is xcode resonable at 12 inch? for referance, i now run 1024x768 on 15 and 17 inch crts useing vc++6 (old school )
  • Reply 11 of 11
    bytemebyteme Posts: 45member
    I would get the NeW 12" PB 1.33GHZ...well I DiD.... and I very very happy with my purchase. I opted for the superdrive, but i recommend getting a combo drive, save $200, and buy an external DVD-RW when dual-layerer RW drives are available later this yr.