Apple Speakers on PC ::

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does anyone know if the apple pro speakers can be used on a pc? [apple mini-jack to regular 1/8" plugs, or the usb version (that comes with cube)]

since we're @ it.......

how about the soundsticks/sub.......?

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    [quote] Does anyone know if the apple pro speakers can be used on a pc?

how about the soundsticks/sub.......? <hr></blockquote>

Unfortunately I have never used these, but from what I know, I would say no, they can't be used. These only work with certain Macs do they not? (iMacs and later or something like that). If this is true, I don't see 'em working too well on a PC. give it a shot round at a mates sometime or something.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    i believe the usb versions MIGHT work with pc's?

or does it draw more from the special usb ports on macs that it can't be used?

hmmm
  • Reply 3 of 10
    but the sticks connect to the sub, which connects to the tower via usb........

but doesn't that need the 20mW usb ports?

[same with the cube power speakers?]
  • Reply 4 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The SoundSticks will work on a USB PC. The SoundStick iSub has a power-brick. The G4 Cube speakers won't work on anything but the Cube.

I don't think you will be able to use Apple Pro Speakers on anything other than a Mac, not even with a pigtail.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I've used my SoundSticks on my PC, and they work just fine. In fact, they're louder on the PC than my iBook...

They show up as "Harman Kardon SoundSticks" when you plug them into an XP system.

I think you're out of luck with the Pro Speakers though.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Thanks for the responses! No drivers are needed for the soundsticks?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    No drivers needed in XP - can't say for other versions of Windows though.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Hi

I have a PC, iMac and a Studio Display LCD - so I was able to do a lot of testing.

You are right the speakers don't play lound on the iMac.

My Apple studio Display is connected to my pc throug a apple adc-dvi converter, and so the power from the usb on the display comes from my usb 2 port from my pc motherboard.

So basiclly i connected the usb speakers to my studio display and connnected to usb cable from the display through the adc-dvi converter to a pci-to-usb 2.0 card. They apparently don't work when connected directly to my motherboard but only to my pci card. now everything it's working on my pc.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    So I guess what I am saying is in order to get the usb speakers to work on a pc you need to buy a studio display and a adc-dvi converter , which will cost you a little more than 250 $.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by salbeik View Post

So I guess what I am saying is in order to get the usb speakers to work on a pc you need to buy a studio display and a adc-dvi converter , which will cost you a little more than 250 $.

Are you sure it needs that converter? The Apple Studio display might need it, but there are other monitors that offer USB hubs on them.