Panther on a Cube

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have an old G4 450 MHz cube, and I upgraded it from OS 9 to Panther recently. However, I don't think all of the Panther features work correctly. For example, when doing fast user switching, it doesn't animate it in 3D. It just blinks over to the other page. Is there a way to fix this? Or is my comp just old?

Thanks, Emily

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    The reason it doesn't animate Fast User Switching is because that requires Quartz Extreme, which needs at least 32 megs of RAM on your video card. You probably have an Ati Rage 128 Pro, which has 16.

I run Panther on a Cube, but I bought a new graphics card off eBay, back when I heard about Quartz Extreme.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    works like charm on my cubicle.

450 MHZ, 832 MB Ram, and a flashed PC 7200 Radeon with TWO montors... fun!

just get a grafics card and you're

and btw: never ever say a Cube is "old" - best computer design EVER!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    yeah, cubes were cool, try doing anything graphix wise on a g3400 iMac, jeez, that's a pain in the ass!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    The graphics card in the cube isn't QE enabled. I know, cause I have one too

The animated user switching requires QE.

Best computer I've ever owned (but when my 12" PB gets here, I might have to change my mind.)
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by FashnNuggt

I have an old G4 450 MHz cube, and I upgraded it from OS 9 to Panther recently. However, I don't think all of the Panther features work correctly. For example, when doing fast user switching, it doesn't animate it in 3D. It just blinks over to the other page. Is there a way to fix this? Or is my comp just old?

Thanks, Emily

Quartz Extreme would be enabled if you had a Radeon or a Nvidia video card in the Cube.