Password Protecting folders

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I did a search, but the threads were old, pre-vB, and the links didn't work.

So, what's the Panther approved method of password protecting a folder or file?

Preferably as easy as possible, I'm asking for a friend who is not the most computer savvy dude(especially considering he came from windows)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Well, protecting folders with passwords is no longer around in Mac OS X. However, there are alternatives. You can use Disk Utility to create a password protected Disk Image. You can even make one that grows with the things who are put into it.

Macosxhints Article - Don't follow the link in the article, scroll down, a comment has a good overview.

HTH
  • Reply 2 of 5
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Hmm, I'll have to test out those solutions and see what's up.

But I wonder, what about file vault? wasn't it designed to do pretty much exactly this? or was it removed from panther? or

The problem with making a password protected compressed file is that it makes it difficult for my friend to access, because he has to uncompress to listen to what's inside (audio journal type thing). ya know? and since it's updated fairly frequently that's just another hassle.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    No substitute for password protected folders. That's one nice thing about XP though I'm sure there's a 10 second hack for it. It's just more convenient. Filevault isn't the same, since what if I want someone to have access to my account all except one folder? And File Vault is still shady I don't trust it, it causes issues and has a speed hit.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    Try LameSecure version 0.58, available on VersionTracker. Creates password-protected "invisible" folders without using encryption or any possibly destructive encoding scheme. Documentation is marginal, but not too hard to figure out.

LameSecure is *not* industrial-grade security, but it's more than adequate to keep data away from prying eyes and it works reliably.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Macupdate had this software today, I downloaded it, checked it out, it works very well.

Ghost Folder