Video capture on a G4 PB?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm thinking of getting into some video capturing and editing and was wondering what to expect out of my G4 1.33 PB. Initially I plan to use an analog to firewire convertor (Canopus ADVC100) to import old VHS tapes and then write them back out as DVD.

I'm curious to see what others have encountered when pulling in video on their PB. I've never used firewire stuff before so I'm not too clear on the hardware demands. My main concern is that the 4200 RPM drive in the laptop will not be able to keep up and I'll end up with dropped frames and audio sync problems. I do remember Apple specifically advertising that you could do video editing on a PB a few years ago though, so hopefully this isn't a big issue.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I dont know about VHS, but i have been importing miniDV footage from my video camera via firewire and it imports flawlesly without any dropouts. I cant believe itcan import it and play it in real time. I have 17" PB 1.33ghz
  • Reply 2 of 5
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    You'll be fine. I've imported from a FW bridge to 400mhz PowerBook G3 with a 4200 drive. The bridge is doing the DV conversion, so it's no different than importing from a DV camera.

I'd make sure the PBook's AC is plugged in, but that might not be as big an issue with the modern PowerBooks.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    if you have the funds I would recommend getting an external firewire drive for capturing the video too. DV when converted is like 12 megs per minute. It will begin to eat away at your internal drive as well as slow you down editing. Also if you ever crash do you really want to have to recapture all the tapes again. Firewire 400 drives are good enough, if you have 800 even better.

Hope this helps

Zen
  • Reply 4 of 5
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I agree about getting an external firewire drive. I have converted a bunch of family vhs and hi-8 tapes to DVD. We have a Canon GL1 and have just been playing the tapes straight into that which converts it to digital. Then import them into iMovie. It could not be easier. I have a 17 pb @1.0 and have used it at family outings and given grandparents a DVD of the event before they have left. For really big jobs you will want a faster machine. I tend to watch the video as it is imported so firewire 400 is good enough, besides that is all the GL1 can handle.

reg
  • Reply 5 of 5
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    I am about to do this very thing - I am going to order me a 1.5 15" and then get the canopus advc100 and get busy with it.. I will get a FW800 external drive just for safety.. and then I will be very very broke