So that's where all the iPod minis are.

homhom
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

The NYT has a good article up about Apple turning into iPod Inc. Really it is a fluffy piece about Jobs being a visionary and the only person, blah blah blah. Not much new here except a few nuggets:

Apple was set to introduce an ISP during the Dot Com boom when everyone, myself included, wanted to know what Apple's Internet strategy was going to be.

All the pictures of Macs are gone from the lobby at Apple Campus, replaced by a 3 story iPod.

Oh, and the NYT should be barred from ever reporting on technology again. General Magic was not an Apple spin off.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

All the pictures of Macs are gone from the lobby at Apple Campus, replaced by a 3 story iPod.

is macintosh takeing a back seat to the ipod? I would hope not, this is just a way and a damn great way to get noticed by a whole new and huge group of music lovers that are still in a windows quagmire.

MY PREDICTION: look for the ad campeign to swich as the ipod is more and more the world standard for mobile music (I see more of them at school than cd walkmens!) , to something like "if you like the ipod, your gonna love the ibook! (or imac or emac or powermac or powerbook)"
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

The NYT has a good article

FYI for non-subscribers:

login: appleinsider

password: appleinsider
  • Reply 3 of 8
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

FYI for non-subscribers:

Is it okay if I give that login to all my friends?

HOM: I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw the article. Good article, BTW. If nothing else, it'll raise people's (and maybe investor's) confidence in Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

Oh, and the NYT should be barred from ever reporting on technology again. General Magic was not an Apple spin off. [/B]

i don't know about that, david poque (missing manuel author) writes for the gray lady, and he's excellent.

maybe you should save your vitriol for john markoff.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

In fact, the wild success that Mr. Jobs has enjoyed with the iPod may have come in the nick of time. For all the acknowledged design and ease-of-use advantages of the Macintosh, Apple's overall PC business is still growing more slowly than that of its Microsoft- and Intel-based competitors.

• Reply 6 of 8
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

Apple was set to introduce an ISP during the Dot Com boom when everyone, myself included, wanted to know what Apple's Internet strategy was going to be.

This sounds a bit like what .Mac was going to be. Right now, that service is useful but a little difficult for people to wrap their brains around. That probably has to do with the fact that it's most useful when you have Macs in remote locations to synchronize.

The bit about Tony Fadell is interesting too. The suggestion that something akin to the iPod could have been in Real's hands is a jiucy bit of speculation. I doubt it would have turned out the way it did were it not born from Apple's culture and leadership though.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

FYI for non-subscribers:

Thanks Brad
  • Reply 8 of 8
    ludwigvanludwigvan Posts: 458member