Job Interview...a real job interview...nervous...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Typical being nervous but this offer came from left-field. An hour after I got my phone line up I get this call. From a company out in the burbs. Guy said that he was looking at my resume and thought he's give me a call. Here's the job description...

"Company is a leading outsource solution for e-commerce. We develop and operate online retailing and direct response marketing businesses for retailers, braded manufacturers, media companies, and professional sports organizations. Our platform includes Web site design and development, e-commerce technology, customer service, fulfillment, buying and merchandising, content development and management, online and database marketing, and product development.

Position: \tAssociate Content Manager- Polo.com

Reporting totSr. Business Manager

Job Description:

Responsible for coordinating the day to day creative changes between Polo.com and internal Company resources. Client is remote, as is the direct report, so candidate must have excellent verbal and written communication skills. Candidate will be responsible for managing the hand-off from Polo and the delivery by Company which will require strong organizational skills. Must have some technical experience in order to accurately estimate/plan internal Company work as well as provide quality assurance on the creative changes delivered.

Minimum Requirements:

- B.S. / B.A.

- 3+ years professional experience

- Web Development experience (HTML,CSS)

- Strong proficiency with Photoshop

- Strong organizational skills

- Familiarity with core concepts in e-commerce

- Excellent written and verbal communication skills

- Good team player, ability to work with diverse personalities and experience levels

Desirable Requirements:

- Web Development Management experience

- Usability experience

- E-commerce experience

- Retail experience"

I have maybe...40% of these requirements listed (in bold). Still, after our conversation he wants me to came in for an interview. The NYC sales rep from Polo will be there too.

Position is full-time, salary is around 40K year...

They weren't too happy that I'd be commuting. But there is a bus that goes there from the city. I've commuted before so thats no problem for me. Another thing is if I do get the job...there is no way...in hell that I'm moving back to the suburbs. I hate the suburbs...I love the city.

I'm kind of in the dark what a "Content Manager" really does. Seems to be a middle man between the Creative/Developement people at the Company and the Client (Polo). They haven't really anything to view as for their work with other clients on their site either (though the site is clean, designed well and professional looking). I requested links but haven't gotten anything. Just a confirmation of the interview date.

Any Content Managers out there want to give me some advice? This is the first real professional job interview I've had in three years...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Sounds to me like you need massive communication skills with the ability to intrepret what a 'lay' person needs and wants so the tech people can create it. If you're a geek, and can't speak in human terms, this job might not work.

Don't be afraid of the interview. You have to be confident. If you have good communication skills then you can win the job in the interview anyway PLUS you'll have the necessary skills to do the job well.

They don't like that you'll commute? Tell them "Who cares?" It doesn't matter because you'll be doing a better job in less time than any of the other candidates anyway.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Sounds to me like you need massive communication skills with the ability to intrepret what a 'lay' person needs and wants so the tech people can create it. If you're a geek, and can't speak in human terms, this job might not work.

Don't be afraid of the interview. You have to be confident. If you have good communication skills then you can win the job in the interview anyway PLUS you'll have the necessary skills to do the job well.

They don't like that you'll commute? Tell them "Who cares?" It doesn't matter because you'll be doing a better job in less time than any of the other candidates anyway.

That's definately boosted my confidence. I know I can tackle most things in this situation. I'm not a geek,(not saying that's a bad thing) I am a creative person and like working with others like this. But I have to understand that in order to do the job right, communication will be key. Something tells me I better get a new cell phone soon...(and use it)...brush up on my Office and Outlook skills I know (ugh) I'll need them again.

• Reply 3 of 16
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Sounds like a pretty cush job actually. Getting graphics from creative, resizing and optimizing for the web, updating text, adding new pages that are most likely template-based. As said, knowing what the client wants and communicating both directions are key skills.

(former job title: "Director of Content")

• Reply 4 of 16
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Confidence Artman, confidence.When talking about your "experience", don't be shy to mention that you're very resourceful. When there's a "problem", you're good at finding solutions.

When you don't know the answer, you won't quit until you find it and do whatever necessary to get the job done.

Good luck man.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    I've been on the hunt for a tech job lately.

One piece of advice that I received recently (which I thought was worthy of passing along): With a long list of (technical) requirements such as the one you quoted, an employer is almost guaranteed not to find a perfect fit. And they know this. Their goal is to find somebody that fits somewhat closely, but demonstrates (or communicates) an ability to learn the other stuff. Knowing this should help keep you from fretting too much about the other 60% of their list - so long as you're confident that you can pick that stuff up on the job.

Hmmm... this may have been obvious. \

Oh well, it wasn't to me. Good luck.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    a. good luck artman

b. these may sound stupid, but...

....firm handshake (don't try and break their hands, but a good, firm handshake is a must)

....look them in the eyes, during the handshake, during all questions and answers...no looking down at your feet or your hands or the floor

....sit up straight...bad posture equals lazy employee

....smile once and a while...don't do a dopey "eddie van halen from the jump video" grinning all the time thing, but smiling shows that you are confident and happy to be there

....be honest....but....

answer almost all questions truthfully, don't make shit up as it could trip you up...it is ok to say "i don't know", but don't do it too often or for the really important questions...the but is: don't be too honest about how badly you need a job nor how low of a salary you will work for...

again, re-read a.

g
  • Reply 7 of 16
    So you would be the key liaison between the two companies?

Nice

thegeldings interview advice all good (esp a)

My additional advice would be to do as much research on both companies as possible. At interviews here, people who've gone to the effort of finding out what our place is about always have an advantage over those who come in and expect to be told everything.

I can also recommend having lots of questions to ask, to show them that you've thought it through. And save some questions for the point near the end when they specifically ask 'have you got any questions?'. Nothing worse than sitting there blankly with nothing to say.

Confidence, enthusiasm and research. All good

Good luck

and of course...

hang loose

----------

Now playing: Blind Faith/Do what you like
  • Reply 8 of 16
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

a. good luck artman

b. these may sound stupid, but...

....firm handshake (don't try and break their hands, but a good, firm handshake is a must)

....look them in the eyes, during the handshake, during all questions and answers...no looking down at your feet or your hands or the floor

....sit up straight...bad posture equals lazy employee

....smile once and a while...don't do a dopey "eddie van halen from the jump video" grinning all the time thing, but smiling shows that you are confident and happy to be there

....be honest....but....

answer almost all questions truthfully, don't make shit up as it could trip you up...it is ok to say "i don't know", but don't do it too often or for the really important questions...the but is: don't be too honest about how badly you need a job nor how low of a salary you will work for...

again, re-read a.

g

Good advice. Especially point B (look in the eyes) the new french foreign minister gave me this advice when i was a kid, and i never forget it.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Thank you all for the advice. Seriously gratified. Even emotional.

I'm at the lowest of lows in life right now. Have about $300.00 in the bank...that's all I have. I work my ass off for a retail outfit that pays about $200.00 or less a week. I haven't been able to find any job related to my skills and talents in years. I've lost weight, lost friends, lost some self esteem and lost some of the things other people have for granted (cable TV, high-speed access, entertainment in general, CD player's broken...if I ever buy a CD again...). I still have the love and support of family and now I know who the real generous people here are too.

Thanks again. I'll try not to fail...

• Reply 10 of 16
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Some good advice here. On the eye contact thing though, just don't have a staring contest with the guy. I know some people are told to keep eye contact until the other guy looks away, but you'll freak some people out doing that. It IS ok to look away once in a while.

And yeah, not TOO firm with the handshake. We know a guy in business here who squeezes the shit out of your hand. He's about 5'6" and thin... not sure if he's got Little Man syndrome or what, but it's annoying. He actually hurt my wife's hand a little one time, so now I squeeze the **** out of the little guy's hand when I see him.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

Confidence Artman, confidence.When talking about your "experience", don't be shy to mention that you're very resourceful. When there's a "problem", you're good at finding solutions.

When you don't know the answer, you won't quit until you find it and do whatever necessary to get the job done.

Good luck man.

Artman, I think what Gilsch says is a very good point.

You know, it might help to make a list of your good qualities that any boss would value. Then if he asks what qualities you could bring to the company, you will have already thought through your answer. You could mention the top four - one being what Gilsch says above, IF it's true, that is.

You might even think of one or two things you 'need to work on', just in case he asks 'that'. Better to have something in mind to say than to be caught surprised and have your mind go blank. He might even ask what you'd do to improve the company. You might have an answer prepared for such a question, just in case.

Try not to be nervous. Remember this guy gets up in the morning and puts his pants on just the way you do. (Picture him sitting on the toilet. ) Also, think what's the 'worst' that could happen. It's not like you're facing a firing squad. The worst that could happen is that you don't get the job. It's not like you'll be contracting a terminal disease or anything. If you can put yourself at ease with such thoughts, it will help a LOT to make you feel comfortable during the interview.

The thought that they don't like the idea of your commuting raises a red flag, imo. Maybe the bus service from the suburbs shuts down fairly early in the evening, and they don't like the idea because that means you can't stay late to work long into the night.

Well, anyway, I wish you the very best. (I'll be a wreck now just worrying about you! ) Big HUG!

Carol
  • Reply 12 of 16
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Artman, you are going to kick some major interviewing ass, understand?!

Seriously... you'll be fine. If they contacted you out of the blue it's because they see some things in your credentials that already impress them. Just keep on with the positive attitude, answer a few techy questions and you're on your way.

You will be able to afford Flyer's playoff tickets in no time!

• Reply 13 of 16
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artman @_@

That's definately boosted my confidence.

I'm glad/hope that I've helped! Keep us informed.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Only 'job interview' I've had so far was when I got my apprenticeship, so I'm not terribly skilled in this. But I wish you luck, and I'll press the thumbs for you.

You'll do it.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    rick1138rick1138 Posts: 938member
    Hey good luck. By the way Ralph Lauren hangs out in Rehoboth sometimes - he's only about 5' 1', so don't be intimidated.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    The cardinal rules of job interviews:

1) study hard. know your opponent.

2) control the interview. Don't let them ask the questions. You should be doing 70% of the talking, asking them questions about their operations.

3) pretend you own the fockers. I like to think that if it came down to it, I could beat the shit out of my interviewer in under 60 seconds.

I have gotten every job I've interviewed for, and my credentials on paper are often lower than the competition. For one thing, I'm only 22. For the second thing, I didn't have stellar grades, so one would think I would have had a harder time getting a job amongst my college peers. But instead I was the one declining job offers in order to start my own company, which has been a blast.