I think my iPod just bit the dust...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
This is so sad to tell....but plugging my 3G 15GB iPod into the FireWire AC adapter charge it just now, I saw a a solid screen and then the HD started to click again, and again, and again. Then the caution/folder sign came up. Now my iPod won't even turn on. I looked at the dock connection and there are signs of scorching and it smells quite nice.

I had never used the AC/FireWire adapter before (had always plugged into computer, but had my external HD plugged in at the time). And I plugged the adapter into a surge protection strip. I don't what happened -- like the adapter fed my poor iPod WAY too much power at once. It's still under the one-year warranty, so I'm going to call up Apple tomorrow and see what the procedure is.

I'm so sad......like a part of me has been torn asunder.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Does your computer recognize it? You may be able to reset it using the iPod software updater. The usual stupid question: have you tried pressing the menu and play buttons together for a few seconds?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    My PB won't recognize it. And now it's making a strange buzzing sound when I hold down the Play/Menu buttons (had tried that before to reset to no avail). A new symbol appears when it does manage to turn on for a little while: a little battery icon with the warning sign infront. Maybe it's just a battery issue (maybe just batt-related components were affected), but somehow I doubt it.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Ouch! I give you the best of luck, but it sounds like some serious damage has occurred. I would take it back to an apple store AAP.