Apple's mail app and privacy issues...within the home

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Does the Apple mail app work in such a way that not everyone's AOL email account will be able to be accessed through the mail application? My uncle is asking me this question on AIM. I dont know what he is talking about, as I dont have or want to have AOL. Does anyone know? I asked him if user switching would help, but he claims that even with that, everyone's account is still "wide open."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    I don't know what he means by "wide open". If FUS with passwords on each user account is done, then each person should have access only to their e-mail. Otherwise, with FUS he could just go into the Accounts part of Mail Preferences, and leave the password field empty, so every time it tries to grab mail it would prompt the user for a passsword.

Although, in that case you'd probably also want to set Mail to check e-mail manually than at specified intervals.

Not too sure if that helped any \
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I didn't think Mail or any third-party client, for that matter, could interface with AOL's mail system...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

I didn't think Mail or any third-party client, for that matter, could interface with AOL's mail system...

Actually, you can use Mail to read AOL mail - just set up an IMAP account using imap.aol.com as your server. Note that the user name is case-sensitive.

This is a better and more secure solution than AOL, if you have multiple users, as AOL stores its preferences and settings inside the /Users/Shared folder....
  • Reply 4 of 5
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Here. It's just a recent development.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    neoneo Posts: 271member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Here. It's just a recent development.

that's cool

-Neø