Snap, crackle, flash - what's it mean?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My Rev A iMac is showing its age with some wobble in the video. No problem, it's still usable. But as I was using it last night there was a sudden single snapping noise and a momentary glitch or flash on the screen. Any idea what that means? I'm thinking it could be anything from a vaporized insect in the high voltage supply to a warning of imminent system death.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Degaussing. Description here. Sounds like the iMac did it himself...
  • Reply 2 of 4
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    There was a defect in B&W G3 monitors that they did this themselves and gradually more often, that started after like three years. No wonder Apple didn't catch this in quality testing

Apple gave free replacements though. FedEx you a box, pay for shipping both ways, and then give you back your fixed monitor. Very nice of them.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    So if this is the same kind of problem as in the G3 monitors, that first snap and flash is a distant warning of eventual death. I'm OK with that, 'cuz it's nearly six years old and spent several years operating continuously before going into its current semi-retirement. And my wife has a replacement already picked out -- she's thinking eMac.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

Degaussing. Description here. Sounds like the iMac did it himself...

No, I don't think it was degaussing. I've seen that, I've heard that, and this was different. And this was also something I've never heard from this machine in almost six years.