Safari speed up, take 2

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Get rid of pithhelmet. I love that plug-in, but it seems to slow safari down immensely. That's too bad. Right now, I'm using the modified hosts file to block ads and it seems to work well. I wish safari had ad blocking built-in... I guess I'll wait for omniweb.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    gavrielgavriel Posts: 175member
    Slightly off topic but I sure wish that Camino had adblocking capabilities aswell. I know that there is a plugin for its sisterproject Firefox but there appears to be no equivalent for Camino. That's why right now I am staring at a gigantic ad that screams: CLEARLY THERE ISN'T ENOUGH ART IN OUR SCHOOLS. *sigh*
  • Reply 2 of 9
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Unfortunately, I doubt we'll ever see a browser with built in banner ad blocking. I know that some smaller developers will add that in (I don't know if OmniWeb will include it or not) but not Safari. It's considered unethical to have built in banner ad blocking.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

(I don't know if OmniWeb will include it or not)

OmniWeb has had it since 4.0 or earlier. They'd be crazy to remove that now; the privacy/ad filter is one of OmniWeb's big selling points.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Exactomundo! OmniWeb's ad-blocking capabilities are great. One of many reasons why I bought OW back in the time.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    so, how do i uninstall it?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

so, how do i uninstall it?

1. Quit Safari.

2. Drag the plugin to the Trash. (located at Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins)

3. There is no step three!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    ok, thanks
  • Reply 8 of 9
    eh, I'll take the speed hit. I've come to love Pith Helmet
  • Reply 9 of 9
    brutalbrutal Posts: 4member
    You guys should check out Privoxy. IMO much better than Pithhelmet, and alot faster!