iMovie / iDVD takes 6 hours to burn a DVD???

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just finished making my first DVD using iMovie and iDVD. The DVD has ~90 minutes of content (2 1-hour shows with the commercials cut out). I used the basic menu theme. From the time I clicked "Burn" and the time the finished DVD ejected it took about 6 hours! Step 3 took the longest ("building assets" or something similar).

I'm using a 17" PB 1.33 GHz with the stock 512MB RAM. 6 hour seems pretty excessive. What's the deal?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gh0ztt

I just finished making my first DVD using iMovie and iDVD. The DVD has ~90 minutes of content (2 1-hour shows with the commercials cut out). I used the basic menu theme. From the time I clicked "Burn" and the time the finished DVD ejected it took about 6 hours! Step 3 took the longest ("building assets" or something similar).

I'm using a 17" PB 1.33 GHz with the stock 512MB RAM. 6 hour seems pretty excessive. What's the deal?

You have to allow time to render. you'll notice in the customize box in idvd there is a pane that shows encoding status. it works in the background, and once a file says 'done' you should save so that idvd doesnt have to re-render the file every time you open the project. in this case for you, after it burns that first disc for a long time, save your project, and the next time your burn time will be shorter because it will have saved the rendered files. you'll notice that DVD project files are huge--it's because they contain rendered MPEG-2 files rather than compressed quicktime movies.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 257member
    I'm trying to burn a DVD of about 30 minutes (many small takes edited down) of home video on a dual 2.0 processor with a GB of RAM--and still waiting. It went for about 4 hours the first time, stopping at Step 4--Multiplexing and burning. It didn't seem to be really doing anything at this point, so I restarted it. So now, it's still back hung up on Step 4 after 2 hours.

Is this normal? I'm running out of time since it's my daughters school project due in a few hours.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by F1Turbo

I'm trying to burn a DVD of about 30 minutes (many small takes edited down) of home video on a dual 2.0 processor with a GB of RAM--and still waiting. It went for about 4 hours the first time, stopping at Step 4--Multiplexing and burning. It didn't seem to be really doing anything at this point, so I restarted it. So now, it's still back hung up on Step 4 after 2 hours.

Is this normal? I'm running out of time since it's my daughters school project due in a few hours.

i dunno about that one. sorry.