Sick to my stomach over losing data...can anyone help?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My PowerBook G4's hard disk is beyond repair (DiskWarrior won't fix the directory)...it won't boot. I talked with the Apple Store who kept it overnight running Diskwarrior, and they say that a program like Data Rescue X might be able to (but no guarantees) rescue the data.

Given I'm a poor, struggling student, I don't have 85.00 to throw around at will. Can anyone recommend anything to me...or help me out? I am willing to paypal

Anything you can do to help me would be incredibly awesome, EVERY part of my life from essays to my thesis was on that drive.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Keep out of Norton whatever you do with it. A friend's G5's hard drive got just replaced partly because of running Norton in it. (not him, the genius running it).

My sympathies. Make backups of whatever you consider valuable, in whatever system you are running. . you never know.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    If it's your life, than $85 isn't a lot of money. I know it seems like a ton, being a student myself, but I know I would gladly fork over that kind of cash for a data recovery service if my HDD went south. This is just another strong case for backing up your data!

Good luck!
  • Reply 3 of 6
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    There is a free trial.

Though you can only retrieve one file at a time.

Good luck, but honestly what were you thinking about having your thesis in ONE location???
  • Reply 4 of 6
    regreg Posts: 832member
    A friend of mine had the same problem last year. Nothing could correct the non booting problem. We ended up taking the hard drive out of the Ti 500 and putting it in a firelite enclosure. We got all the data that he needed off the drive then reformatted zeroing everything out. Never had any problems after that. If you have a MUG in your area they might be able to help.

reg
  • Reply 5 of 6
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Data Rescue X saved my life at one point, definitely try it. The trial will at least allow you to see if it works or not (and if you're generous, buy the program).
  • Reply 6 of 6
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Funny thing is I have read this at MacNN and ArsTechnica.

How many other places has it been spotted???