screw the politics...literary quotes thread

brbr
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'll get started with this:

1492. As children we were taught to memorize this year with pride and joy as the year people began living full and imaginative lives on the continent of North America. Actually, people had been living full and imaginative lives on the continent of North America for hundreds of years before that. 1492 was simply the year sea pirates began to rob, cheat, and kill them.

Kurt Vonnegut: Breakfast of Champions

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    "Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

- epitaph for Billy Pilgrim
  • Reply 2 of 29
    "If a man wishes to rid himself of a feeling of unbearable oppression, he may have to take to Hashish."

-Friedrich Nietzsche's 'Ecce Homo'

I read this quote when I was studying Nietzsche in University and I thought it was the coolest things ever. I don't anymore but it was the first one that popped into my head. So there ya go.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

"If a man wishes to rid himself of a feeling of unbearable oppression, he may have to take to Hashish."

-Friedrich Nietzsche's 'Ecce Homo'

I read this quote when I was studying Nietzsche in University and I thought it was the coolest things ever. I don't anymore but it was the first one that popped into my head. So there ya go.

neechee just won a point in my head.

"And the lamp - light o'er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;

And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor

Shall be lifted - nevermore."

-the Poe's "The Raven"
  • Reply 4 of 29
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Composed upon Westminster Bridge, September 3, 1802

EARTH has not anything to show more fair:

Dull would he be of soul who could pass by

A sight so touching in its majesty:

This City now doth, like a garment, wear

The beauty of the morning; silent, bare,

Ships, towers, domes, theatres, and temples lie

Open unto the fields, and to the sky;

All bright and glittering in the smokeless air.

Never did sun more beautifully steep

In his first splendour, valley, rock, or hill;

Ne'er saw I, never felt, a calm so deep!

The river glideth at his own sweet will:

Dear God! the very houses seem asleep;

And all that mighty heart is lying still!

-Wordsworth

("Poetry is the spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings")
  • Reply 5 of 29
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    And how can you bring it home to them? By an inspiration? By a vision? A dream? Brothers! People! Why has life been given you? In the deep, deaf stillness of midnight, the doors of the death cells are being swung open--and great-souled people are being dragged out to be shot. On all the railroads of the country this very minute, right now, people who have just been fed salt herrings are licking their dry lips with bitter tongues. They dream of the happiness of stretching out one?s legs and of the relief one feels after going to the toilet. In Orotukan the earth thaws only in summer and only to the depth of three feet?and only then can they bury the bones of those who died during the winter. And you have the right to arrange your own life under the blue sky and the hot sun, to get a drink of water, to stretch, to travel wherever you like without a convoy. So what?s this about unwiped feet? And what?s this about a mother-in-law? What about the main thing in life, all its riddles? If you want, I?ll spell it out for you right now. Do not pursue what is illusory?property and position: all that is gained at the expense of your nerves decade after decade, and is confiscated in one fell night. Live with a steady superiority over life?don?t be afraid of misfortune, and do not yearn after happiness; it is, after all, all the same: the bitter doesn?t last forever, and the sweet never fills the cup to overflowing. It is enough if you don?t freeze in the cold and if thirst and hunger don?t claw at your insides. If your back isn?t broken, if your feet can walk, if both arms can bend, if both eyes see, and if both ears hear, then whom should you envy? And why? Our envy of others devours us most of all. Rub your eyes and purify your heart?and prize above all else in the world those who love you and who wish you well. Do not hurt them or scold them, and never part from any of them in anger; after all, you simply do not know: it might be your last act before your arrest, and that will be how your are imprinted in their memory!

Alexander Solzhenitsyn:

from The Gulag Archipelago
  • Reply 6 of 29
    naderfannaderfan Posts: 156member
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble, it's a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantement, it is as perrenial as the grass. Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Desiderata, Max Ehrmann 1927
  • Reply 7 of 29
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmz

And how can you bring it home to them? By an inspiration? By a vision? A dream? Brothers! People! Why has life been given you? In the deep, deaf stillness of midnight, the doors of the death cells are being swung open--and great-souled people are being dragged out to be shot. On all the railroads of the country this very minute, right now, people who have just been fed salt herrings are licking their dry lips with bitter tongues. They dream of the happiness of stretching out one?s legs and of the relief one feels after going to the toilet. In Orotukan the earth thaws only in summer and only to the depth of three feet?and only then can they bury the bones of those who died during the winter. And you have the right to arrange your own life under the blue sky and the hot sun, to get a drink of water, to stretch, to travel wherever you like without a convoy. So what?s this about unwiped feet? And what?s this about a mother-in-law? What about the main thing in life, all its riddles? If you want, I?ll spell it out for you right now. Do not pursue what is illusory?property and position: all that is gained at the expense of your nerves decade after decade, and is confiscated in one fell night. Live with a steady superiority over life?don?t be afraid of misfortune, and do not yearn after happiness; it is, after all, all the same: the bitter doesn?t last forever, and the sweet never fills the cup to overflowing. It is enough if you don?t freeze in the cold and if thirst and hunger don?t claw at your insides. If your back isn?t broken, if your feet can walk, if both arms can bend, if both eyes see, and if both ears hear, then whom should you envy? And why? Our envy of others devours us most of all. Rub your eyes and purify your heart?and prize above all else in the world those who love you and who wish you well. Do not hurt them or scold them, and never part from any of them in anger; after all, you simply do not know: it might be your last act before your arrest, and that will be how your are imprinted in their memory!

Alexander Solzhenitsyn:

from The Gulag Archipelago

Quote:

Originally posted by Naderfan

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble, it's a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantement, it is as perrenial as the grass. Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Desiderata, Max Ehrmann 1927

So, we're not allowed to use paragraphs when quoting?
  • Reply 8 of 29
    fangornfangorn Posts: 323member
    It was difficult to narrow it to one quote from this book. I just recently read it and was absolutely blown away. It will be required reading before either of my daughters go on their first date

Quote:

And Levin remembered a scene he had latelywitnessed between Dolly and her children. The children, left to themselves, had begun cooking raspberries over the candles and squirting milk into each other's mouths with a syringe. Their mother, catching them at these pranks, began reminding them in Levin's presence of the trouble their mischief gave to the grown-up people, and that this trouble was all for their sake, and that if they smashed the cups they would have nothing to drink their tea out of, and that if they wasted the milk, they would have nothing to eat, and die of hunger.

And Levin had been struck by the passive, weary incredulity with which the children heard what their mother said to them. They were simply annoyed that their amusing play had been interrupted, and did not believe a word of what their mother was saying. They could not believe it indeed, for they could not take in the immensity of all they habitually enjoyed, and so could not conceive that what they were destroying was the very thing they lived by.

Leo Tolstoy

from Anna Karenina
  • Reply 9 of 29
    x xx x Posts: 189member
    One that I think is quite attributable to many of these threads...

"I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Stowe <sp?> paraphrasing Voltaire
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Quote:

O my beloved

how sweet it is

to go down

and bathe in the pool

before your eyes

letting you see how

my drenched linen dress

marries

the beauty of my body.

Come, look at me.

Egypt c. 4000 BCE
  • Reply 11 of 29
    OK, poems are cheating. So's Shakespeare, probably, because this could be a 'quote Shakespeare' thread in five minutes he's so good. But this is the first one that popped into head:

Quote:

Howl, howl, howl: O, you are men of stones;

Had I your tongues and eyes, I'd use them so

That heaven's vault should crack.

• Reply 12 of 29
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Bad luck if poems are cheating. Definitely William Blake. "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell" - I think:

"The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction."

And it's pronounced 'wroth' you damn Americans.

Literary, Jack Kerouac "On the Road":

"....because the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a common place thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars...."

Why aren't poems literary quotes anyway?

TS Eliot, "Little Gidding":

We shall not cease from exploration

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by X X

One that I think is quite attributable to many of these threads...

"I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Stowe <sp?> paraphrasing Voltaire

Love the thread BR and the message above in quotes is pricless!

Fellowship
  • Reply 14 of 29
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    "One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. Which road do I take? she asked. Where do you want to go? was his response. I don't know, Alice answered. Then, said the cat, it doesn't matter. "

Lewis Carroll
  • Reply 15 of 29
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    I've always liked this one:

Much have I seen and known...yet all experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world, whose margin fades forever and forever when I move.

"Ulysses" - Tennyson

Nice thread, BR. It's refreshing to have other kinds of ideas floating through here for awhile.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Quote:

Without interrupting each other, we both said at the same time, "Let's never get out of touch with each other." And we never have, although her death has come between us.

Quote:

Now nearly all those I loved and did not understand when I was young are dead, but still I reach out to them. Of course, now I am too old to be much of a fisherman, and now of course I usually fish the big waters alone, although some friends think I shouldn't. Like many fly fishermen in western Montana where the summer days are almost Arctic in length, I often do not start fishing until the cool of the evening. Then in the Arctic half-light of the canyon, all existence fades to a being with my soul and memories and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise.

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

I am haunted by waters.

both from Norman Maclean, A River Rins Through It
  • Reply 17 of 29
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Great literary quote:

Once upon a time
  • Reply 18 of 29
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Lazarus Long, Time Enough For Love by Robert A. Heinlein
  • Reply 19 of 29
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    An artist can look at a pretty girl and see the old woman she will become. A better artist can look at an old woman and see the pretty girl she used to be. A GREAT artist can look at an old woman, portray her exactly as she is, and force the viewer to se the pretty girl she used to be, more than that, he can make anyone with the sensitivity of an armadillo see that this lovely young girl is still alive, prisoned inside her ruined body. He can make you feel the quiet endless tragedy that there was never a girl born who ever grew older than eighteen in her heart.

-Jubal Harshaw in Stranger In A Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

-Jubal Harshaw in Stranger In A Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein.

?The strangest thing in a strange land is the stranger who visits it.?

\t\t---Openning line of Cannibal Tours a film by O?Rourke

?Art is not the reflection of reality, it is the reality of that reflection.?

\t\t---Jean-Luc Godard

?Fiction is not there because language is distant from things; but language is thier distance, the light in which they are to be found and their innaccessability.?

\t\t---M. Foucault, Distance, Aspect, Origine