Why I love PCs (not what you think)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Today I finished another PC repair job that brought in $170 net. Not bad for only ~3 hours of work (minor labour, and clicking buttons). Mind you I am a highschool student so this is really a lot of cash in my eyes.

You see, I love PCs for many reasons but the one I want to touch apon today is because so many people don't know jack about them.

I fix and build PCs for extra pocket change... and if it was not for how poorly they are made, cheap parts, and a hard to master OS I would be out of the job. Today, I worked on a ECS BookPC (smallish, perpriotary,733 Celeron) and it's powersupply was the problem. Now, because the powersupply is only made by one company (it is a special shape) the replacement would cost around USD$100 + shipping. I told my client that for that money she could just gut the old PC and get a (*new*) case/powersupply/motherboard/RAM. She was sold. The final bill was CDN$275 and she has a much faster computer. She is happy, I am happy.

And what makes her even more happy is that I am going to give her a "free" lesson on how to keep her computer in top working order which includes cleaning out dust and keeping spyware out. I say "free" because I charged for it with the bill.

In the end... I love PCs, because they are keeping me from needing a real job.

P.S. Oh and I do fix Macs too... but not as often.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I looked at the title of this thread...and I immediately thought, that's gotta be either a troll, or \\/\\/ickes. And I was correct,

I can understand why you love them, if they net that kind of cash for you. What I wouldn't do for nearly $200 to work on computers. I could do it, but I know I don't have the knowledge that you do about them.

Just make sure that when you fix the computers, tell them that they wouldn't be having that problem if they got Mac. But, that would cut down on your business...hmmmm.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I do plug Apple whenever I can... most of my clients don't know to much about computers so I tell them that an Apple is a much better computer for people in their position. Then they look at the price tag... and back to PC land they go.

Why? You might ask... (it is an easy way to lose money)

Well, because for one I have never been able to get someone to switch... so I will be at unrest untill I do. And for two, while I will not make money on labour, I will still get some cash for the consultation (to which I make clear that it will cost them for my opinion, not much, but time is money).

• Reply 3 of 10
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Macs are great for that too... less people have them and therefore Apple tech people are rarer (and thereofre more expensive).

2 years ago for a small office I added ram, formatted and reinstalled OS 9.2.2, reinstalled their main apps, and added a router for their ADSL connection so all Macs were sharing net connection and network printer. 4 iMacs (slot loading 333Mhz...). Considering I'm not certified to do this stuff, THEY offered me 12$ an hour. I walked out with a cool 1000$ (tax free) a few days later.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i repair both on the side. my PC clients i see a few times a year. my mac clients i see once every few years. at $70, do the math. that Mac cost them a hell of a lot less.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Considering I'm not certified to do this stuff, THEY offered me 12$ an hour. I walked out with a cool 1000$ (tax free) a few days later.

You put in 83+ hours in a few days?!?

You must have been beat.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

You put in 83+ hours in a few days?!?

You must have been beat.

I was gonna say...
  • Reply 7 of 10
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    hmm... maybe it was 25usd... The Euro had just arrived... I cant remember if it was 500belgian francs (12usd) or 1000 (25) per hour. I guess 25 makes more snse seeing that there is no way in hell I was there 83 hours...

anyway, I just remember I got 1000euro
  • Reply 8 of 10
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    So you billed 40 hours to install OS and apps on 4 systems, a router and a printer.

I need to find this kind of freelance work, where the customer has no clue what's going on... or are running a business. The vendor my company uses charges > $300 per onsite visit. Sometimes it's replacing a PC and running the install scripts. But other times, it's unjamming a Laserjet.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    neoneo Posts: 271member
    i fix PC's for my school all the time and i'm gonna see if i can get paid for that...

-Neø
  • Reply 10 of 10
    My school might pay me to install a wireless network. They want to network a new lab for the teachers but connecting 23 computers with cable would require them to build conduits and drill holes in concrete and would cost them thousands. When they asked my computer networking (CCNA) teacher about the idea, she refered them to me. I am still waiting for my perposal to get approved...