I's Offical: 70 Million Songs Downloaded Over iTMS

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
It's official. Not the 100 million as predicted but at the current rate that number should double this year. (I wonder if this includes the Pepsi Promo downloads?) Here's a portion of the PR:

Quote:

iTunes Celebrates Its First Anniversary; Over 70 Million Songs Purchased

Wednesday April 28, 8:31 am ET

CUPERTINO, Calif., April 28 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Apple® today celebrates the first anniversary of its iTunes® Music Store. Launched one year ago today, the iTunes Music Store has revolutionized the music industry with its 99 cents-per-song pricing, free previews, one-click purchasing and downloading, and groundbreaking personal use rights. In its first year, music fans have purchased more than 70 million songs, making it the number one online music service in the world with more than 70 percent market share of legal downloads for singles and albums. iTunes customers are currently purchasing 2.7 million songs per week, a rate of 140 million songs per year.

"iTunes has exceeded our wildest expectations during its first year, charting a new direction for the music industry," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "The unbeatable combination of iTunes and the market-leading iPod offers music fans a seamless experience for discovering, buying, managing and enjoying their music anywhere."

Also: 700,000 Songs Available For Legal Download.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

It's official. Not the 100 million as predicted but at the current rate that number should double this year.

Great numbers, but they also put kind of a cap on how much Apple can make off iTMS. Even at 10x that much, it will not be enough to transform into a media-company.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

Great numbers, but they also put kind of a cap on how much Apple can make off iTMS. Even at 10x that much, it will not be enough to transform into a media-company.

That's actually good for Apple. I'm sure they don't necessarily want the iTMS to be a money making proposition. I think they'd be happier if it just broke even. This would keep the competition at bay and allow Apple to continue selling iPods without hinderance or real competitors. If there's no money to be made in the music download business, the also-rans will go away. As Apple increases its lock on the downloads, at a loss or breaking even, the competition will fall by the wayside.

It's really a nice position to be in.