Ti Fix then sell or or just sell?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have a dilemma, I have an older powerbook that has seen some better days... I took it into my local Computize and they mention that they can 1. fix it... with regular parts (at a substantial cost) or 2. ship it to a partner service place and they can do a full repair of anything damaged for $429 over approx 3 weeks, with a 6 month guarantee.

I also heard that I can send it to Apple repair, for about $495 as a flat rate, and they will fix it all too... anything that is broken... do you know about this? Having a hard time finding out about this service too...

Questions:

\tHas anyone heard of such a service? Have they had a good experience with it?

\tWill they really fix everything? the screen alone is usually $6-700, with a drive another $200 usually.

\tIs this too good to be true?

I'm not concerned with the time it will take to repair, (I have another machine) but I'm worried about being able to sell the Ti Book for a reasonable amount once it's fixed up... would it be worth approx $900?

Another option is to sell it "as is" for abou $500ish, and someone could use it as a $700 trade-in on a new AL 15' or 17' PBook... any takers? You'd save $200 on your new machine...

Appreciate your thougths!!!

Titanium Powerbook

15inch screen

500mhz G4 Processor

768 mgs of Ram

20 Gig HD

Broken:

\t- Screen has two vertical colored lines on the right side

\t- CD Combo drive is dead

\t- Battery has problems connecting

\t- HD is starting to get a little loud

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    completely not worth it to repair. sell it as is and pick up a refurb g4 ibook for $849. you might even come out ahead. don't repair, don't don't don't. bad idea.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

I've got a TiBook 400.

Interesting that you say you have two vertical colored lines. I have the same problem and I've never heard of anyone else having this problem.

To fix that and the top of the case (paint job looks like a rusted old '77 Pacer) I would gladly pay US$500 or so.

Can get the case part I need at PBParts for $249 or something like that, but the screen is just not worth fixing. Unfortunately, that basically means I won't be able to sell my machine ever.

I have/had the two vertical colored lines as well. Although my two lines were created in part by my two year old.

Nick