Blue Laser DVD's can't come soon enough! (RANT)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm so sick of watching an original DVD on my computer screen and having to put up with pixelation and grainy blacks. It's so annoying since many movies have dark scenes or transition with black. I understand that I have a higher resolution then most TVs, but you can see graininess of even colors on bigger nice TV's. I used to wonder what they would fill the extra space of a blue laser DVD with, well how about video that isn't slightly better then an avi?

What is it called for DVD-R's? I know it's blue-ray for DVD+R's. Just tell me when they are coming out, and when DVD's finally look decent.

Post->EndRant();

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I'm so sick of watching an original DVD on my computer screen and having to put up with pixelation and grainy blacks. It's so annoying since many movies have dark scenes or transition with black. I understand that I have a higher resolution then most TVs, but you can see graininess of even colors on bigger nice TV's. I used to wonder what they would fill the extra space of a blue laser DVD with, well how about video that isn't slightly better then an avi?

What is it called for DVD-R's? I know it's blue-ray for DVD+R's. Just tell me when they are coming out, and when DVD's finally look decent.

Post->EndRant();

I was under the impression that crappy DVD playback on Macs is due to a software issue, and not the DVD itself.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I thought it was crappy DVD video quality. Because I can view them on TV's and see less then life like pictures. I know it's hard...ney impossible to fit life like video onto DVD's, but the pixelated blacks, and grainy colors bother me. I am hopeful that with blue laser DVD's they don't have to compress video as much. And hopefully the way they capture video is good enough quality to allow this.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Excellent article on the "whys" of DVDs looking crappy or blocky.

Gets technical but suffice to say often it is the DVD player's algorithms be it in a standalone DVD player or software player on a PC/Mac.

I'm not even done reading it, so I don't know how the story ends But thought I'd show you that link, because it certainly looks exhaustive (if not exhausting).