iTunes Library - MP3->AAC

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I've decided that I am going to buy an album or two a week and slowly turn my collection of music to legitimately owned music. I have to say that I haven't bought an album for a long time and I forgot how addicting it is. It really is instant gratification and I want to just keep downloading so I can have everything I want all at once But I can't do that!

My real question is if there is a way to have a "shopping cart" or wishlist of stuff that I don't plan on purchasing now, but will in the future.

Also...anyone else doing or have done what I'm doing?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    You mean on iTMS?

There's a shopping cart if you turn off "one-click" buying.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I've decided that I am going to buy an album or two a week and slowly turn my collection of music to legitimately owned music. I have to say that I haven't bought an album for a long time and I forgot how addicting it is. It really is instant gratification and I want to just keep downloading so I can have everything I want all at once But I can't do that!

My real question is if there is a way to have a "shopping cart" or wishlist of stuff that I don't plan on purchasing now, but will in the future.

Also...anyone else doing or have done what I'm doing?

Phew. For a second I thought it was another thread on "converting MP3s into AAC format" (which is obviously a horrendous idea).

The latest iTunes lets you add songs from the iTunes Music Store into any playlists you want (obviously only playing the 30 second preview). I have a wish list playlist, I just drag songs I want into the list and buy later (or not).
  • Reply 3 of 11
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Thanks guys!
  • Reply 4 of 11
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

[B]Phew. For a second I thought it was another thread on "converting MP3s into AAC format" (which is obviously a horrendous idea).

Why is it a horrendous idea, is the quality loss that noticeable?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Why is it a horrendous idea, is the quality loss that noticeable?

I never understood this myself. I can see going from one compression format to another because of different algorithms, but people say 160 AAC to 128 AAC will sound horrible as well. I don't get why though because 160 gives you more information, so 160 should be everything 128 would contain and then some. Now mp3 to aac or the other way around I can see messing it up because they sample different parts of the original songs.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I never understood this myself. I can see going from one compression format to another because of different algorithms, but people say 160 AAC to 128 AAC will sound horrible as well. I don't get why though because 160 gives you more information, so 160 should be everything 128 would contain and then some. Now mp3 to aac or the other way around I can see messing it up because they sample different parts of the original songs.

Basically, any compression means a consistent loss of data throughout the duration of the song. A different algorithm or different ratio of the same algorithm applied over an existing compression will now have to deal with not only the remaining music data but also do something with the gaps that the previous encoding created. But that data is now gone. That's where distortions creep in.

Not different than using lossy image formats. Going from gif to jpeg or jpeg to gif can be similarly atrocious.

Of course some instances might be acceptable to some individuals...but usually it's too lossy/lousy.

I was mostly referring to the poor souls that, when AAC first came out with its higher quality fanfare, they thought they could take lossy MP3s and somehow magically upconvert them to a pristine AAC quality. Uh-uh. Only by reripping them from CD will AAC be what you want it to be. And sadly, some people already sold their CDs after initially ripping them to 128 MP3 which now suddenly sounds bad now that we have AAC to compare it to. Hold onto your CDs until the compression matches CD quality and reaches MP3 file sizes (almost there).

You might get acceptable results but I've not experienced anything like that.
  • Reply 7 of 11

The above is just to show how going from one compression to another can leave gaps. Note again that the numbers are entirely fictitious and in no way reflect the reality of AAC in particular.

It is just a simple example of how if you throw out data in chunks in one algorithm, that when you run it through another algorithm, the gaps only multiply.

Only those numbers that are in both the 160 and 128 columns would be used if you were going from 160 to 128. There's no way to reclaim the spaces originally thrown out. Add to that that 128 will want to throw out its own chunks and you can see the gaps widen.

Notice the "totals" at bottom get smaller, as would the filesize in real life examples.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I'd like a separate "Wish List" and "Shopping Cart." The problem with the shopping cart is that you have to buy everything that's in it.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I'd like a separate "Wish List" and "Shopping Cart." The problem with the shopping cart is that you have to buy everything that's in it.

Ditto.

I'm happy that we can make unlimited "wish list" playlists, but I'd far prefer a proper Wish List nested under Music Store's disclosure triangle.

I have bought a few songs unintentionally prior to 4.5 partly due to lack of wish list and storing songs in the cart while mulling.

Better still would be "Email Your Wish List"
  • Reply 10 of 11
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Drag iTMS previews into a dedicated "Wishlist" playlist and you'll be fine. when you want to actually purchase them, select the playlist and drag the songs you want to buy into the Music Store shopping cart.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Oh cool I didn't know you could put previews into a playlist.