Disk imaging

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have bought a couple of pieces of software for my girls to play with (they're 4 and 2). Both require the CD-Rom to be in the computer to run.

I realise this will be help stop piracy but I'm concerned about the risks involved in letting either of my girls load and unload discs on a regular basis.

Is there a way to "copy" the disc to the harddrive and somehow fool the software.

Again I realise this might be a rather tricky question to answer but I'm just trying to make sure my eMac lasts long enough for me to enjoy it.

P.S. Please use nice short simple words if you reply - I'm a bit of a luddite

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    You're on Mac OS X, right? Then it's all too easy.[list=1][*]Open Disk Utility, located in Applications/Utilities.[*]If you're creating a disk image from a folder, choose Images > New > "Image from Folder." Then select the folder you want from the navigation window.

If you're creating a disk image from a device or volume, select it in the list on the left side of the Disk Utility window, then choose Image > New > "Image from [disk or volume name]."[*]Type a name for the image, and choose a disk format.[*]Choose Encryption, if desired, then click Save.[/list=1]Link: Creating a disk image of a device, folder, or volume

Don't hesitate to ask further questions. HTH
  • Reply 2 of 3
    mikemmikem Posts: 2member
    Thanks Defiant,

That's done the trick. Now my eMac may stand the chance of lasting more than a few weeks.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    No problem, Mike. I am glad I was able to help. Maybe, just maybe the eMac will stand your daughters Don't worry though, the eMac is a sturdy little machine, he'll be alright.

I see you're new, so I am happy to welcome you to AppleInsider! Feel free to roam around in that nice place we have here. AppleOutsider may not be the best place to visit though Heh.