iLife Updates: Once Annually?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Obviously with the new iLife naming scheme ('04), and the timing of its release right at the start of the year, should we expect basically a single major update for all iApps (except maybe iTunes, which could get two) each year?

iLife '05 in January 2005

iLife '06 in January 2006 and so on?

Obviously Apple will continue to add point releases for bug fixes and minor feature changes for all the iApps, but I'm already anxious to see what GarageBand "2.0" will hold in store. If they add a nice Effects Menu (a la Photoshop) where you can simply select a loop or parts of a loop in the Editor, and then apply the filter, that would be sweet.

And by filter I mean not just special effects but things like maybe a 5 or 7 band equilizer, noise gate, and other "non-special-effecty" (that's a word: I swear) type additions.

A strong tie-in to Reason would be the icing on the cake. I would love to be able to bounce custom loops directly from Reason into GB. AFAIK you can't yet do this.

Tangent: does anyone know if it's possible to alter the [tempo] of loops item-by-item, as you add them to your song? IOW, slow one down a bit in order to mesh it better with a different loop, while allowing the rest to maintain their original tempo?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Windows 95, Windows 96, Windows 97, Windows 98, Windows 99....

Oh wait!
  • Reply 2 of 5
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Windows 95, Windows 96, Windows 97, Windows 98, Windows 99....

Oh wait!

95b==96, 98 was due in 97 and 99 was WIN ME
  • Reply 3 of 5
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    I would imagine that this is Apple's plan, to have one major overhaul and feature adding update to iLife, per year. It makes sense! Refine the original release over the course of the year then add a new one the following January...and the cycle continues.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

95b==96, 98 was due in 97 and 99 was WIN ME

Well, the point was that they didnt do an annual release based on the yearly naming scheme.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Yah, if this were MS we were talking about I wouldn't have even asked. Just seems to me Apple might be making a point of having one major release, around the same time each year, rather than randomly at different trade shows or what have you.

BTW, I just found the gate and equalizer gizmos. I still think such things ought to be accessed from a single menu and have their own dialogs. The one thing I find somewhat counter-intuitive about GB is that Info Window... especially when trying to apply settings to just one part of one track. Seems unless you create a new instrument and put those special settings in their own track you can't really customize parts of a track.