Mac OS X-based architecture/remodel software?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I think this falls under "purchase advice", so I put it here.

I'm looking for a consumer/intermediate level software package that basically lets me mock-up room/interior remodels and redesigns.

For some reason, this spring and summer finds a TON of my friends and family members doing some redesign work in their homes. In the past I've taken photos supplied by them and worked some Photoshop "ooh-ahh!" on them to give them a rough idea of what their finished product will look like (they provide me with color swatches, wallpaper patterns, etc.).

I'd like to streamline the process and skip the "doctoring a photo" part of it, and just simply work in a "built on screen" environment.

My requirements:

1. OS X native (duh)

2. Inexpensive (not looking for $600-2,299 high-end applications

3. Provide reasonably realistic renderings (shading, gloss, etc.)

Ideally, there would be common components (toilets, tubs, stoves, refrigerators, tables, chairs, etc.) available, so that things can be moved around and placed in different areas for the ultimate in "what if" brainstorming.

Something that would let me work in line art "birds eye" mode for positioning of fixtures, furniture, etc., then go into some sort of "real life" mode, where color and patterns can be added. Does this make sense?

I'm assuming this would be some sort of 3D-based application, but something a dork like me could get into and be productive with ASAP.

Just something that when someone is thinking about that kitchen or bath re-do, they know they can come to me (or, with my PowerBook, I can go them) and give them some sort of idea what it's going to look like, before they spend a bunch of money and involve contractors, plumbers, carpenters, etc.

Any suggestions? Surely something like this exists, right? A year or so ago, I was at someone's house and their dad had some Windows software that did this exact thing, but the name/company totally escapes me.

I've done some searching, but nothing really stands out...hence my thread here now.