PowerBook 550 vs. iBook 700

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
If you could get a PowerBook 550Mhz G4 for the same price of a iBook 700Mhz G3 with 14" screen, would you do it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Yes. Maybe I'd go for the iBook if it was the 12".
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Just be careful to check that the PB 550 has a combo drive and is not the original model with either DVD or CD-RW.

The 550 is indeed a sweet machine... but then again those recent PB updates are mighty nice too!

(sort of makes you wonder what the next updates will hold... and when we'll see them!)
  • Reply 3 of 7
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    14" ibook? no thanks. if it was a 12" i'd do it for sure, and pocket the difference.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    jet powersjet powers Posts: 288member
    Macasaurus:

Any chance that:

1) If you don't take the 550, that someone else (i.e., me) could get in on it?

or

2) You can direct me to the source of these prices for 550 TiBooks?

Thanks! email me at [email protected] if neccessary.

ting5
  • Reply 5 of 7
    macasaurusmacasaurus Posts: 243member
    well I think i could get a PB 550 on ebay after MWNY02 bc I think they will fall in price due to a PB "speed bump". This is all assumption though. Most 550 about 2000s, but prolly get one on ebay cheaper, if you trust em.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    jet powersjet powers Posts: 288member
    I saw a LOADED 550 at another board for $1800, but by the time I replied, it was sold.

And what makes you think that new TiBooks are in the offering? They just got updated about 9 weeks ago, IIRC.

I hope you are right.

Jet
  • Reply 7 of 7
    macasaurusmacasaurus Posts: 243member
    I think 550MHz TiBook owners might think their TiBooks are becoming slow in comparison to the new TiBooks. So they are willing to sell their TiBooks in order to get new ones after MWNY02. That's why I think I can probably get a TiBook for about 1800 after MWNY02. (that is what I am doing with my iBook 500Mhz with 66Mhz bus speed. It's on ebay if you want to check it out. <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2036569068"; target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2036569068</a>; ). So now I am not sure whether to stick with an iBook or get a TiBook G4.