Illustrator Tiling

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Okay, I'm normally pretty decent with the features of Illustrator, however, I'm stumped on this one. I searched the web and can't find anything.

Is there a way to increase the bleed/overlap of the automatic page tiling feature? We do a lot of large format tiling and whenever we do this, I have to do it manually because Illustrator gives you no overlap.

Please Help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I can't answer but you'll want to say what version you are using in case it matters.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    cpenzonecpenzone Posts: 114member
    Adobe Illustrator 10.

Sorry about that.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Paging Dr. Pscates! Dr. Pscates!

(I sent him a PM, btw.)
  • Reply 4 of 6
    cpenzone,

I'm surprised that you are printing directly out of Illustrator. While you can print from Illustrator most people will save their Illustrator file out as an EPS file and then print it from Quark (InDesign would work too) which has more powerful print options.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    cpenzonecpenzone Posts: 114member
    These aren't final printouts... they are just internal proofing printouts so we aren't actually ripping them to wideformat or anything.

I thought about doing the Quark/Indesign route but I was trying to avoid the step because it's ILL 10 and we used all the crazy shadow effects that sometimes don't export correctly.

Also, I think the page might be too big for Indesign, I'd have to double check.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    amaroneamarone Posts: 75member
    Hi cpenzone

There's another way: if you have Acrobat 6 (don't remember if it works in Acrobat 5, but it should) you could set the Illustrator-file settings to be PDF-compatible (hi-res of course) and then print out of Acrobat. The tiling there is actually pretty good. Illustrator-transparencies and -effects shouldn't be a problem too.

a