Home Network Problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey guys,

Ok so I posted a little bit ago, but I have a different scenario now. I just moved back from school and the setup we have here is as follows:

1 cable modem connected to a linksys 4-port switch. I have a PC connected to it and I have my Powerbook connected upstairs. All connections are wired. Now I came back and found that when I plugged in upstairs I can't connect to the internet.

While I was at school I had a wireless router and had to clone my desktop MAC address since it is the only one I am really allowed to have on the network. Then I manually set my PowerBook to be 192.168.1.101 and my desktop to be 192.168.1.100.

Now that I am home and I dont have the wireless. For some reason when I am upstairs the PowerBook still wants to take the 192.168.1.101 address, and when I can get it to have a different IP it says in the Network Status that it is a self assigned one and may not be able to access the internet., even though it was assigned through DHCP.

Does anyone know what is going on? I am not sure if it is my PowerBook or if it is my router here. I have never had problems at home doing this stuff before.

Things I have done: I reset the router and unplugged everything and plugged them back in. Nothing.

Oh and this is really weird. I can access the router admin page from my PowerBook upstairs (the one that can't access the internet), but from my PC I can't access the admin page, but I can access the internet. Any help would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks,

Brian

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    w1n78w1n78 Posts: 26member
    i'm new to the mac but this happened to me before with a pc and what i did to fix it was go to the command prompt and typed /release dns then /renew dns. i don't know what the equivalent is to the mac. hope that gives you more ideas. i'm new to the mac world so my troubleshooting is not that great on the mac
  • Reply 2 of 5
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    Quote:

Originally posted by w1n78

i'm new to the mac

you have a nice one though...mmm...2ual g5...taaasty.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    w1n78w1n78 Posts: 26member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

you have a nice one though...mmm...2ual g5...taaasty.

i'm doing the switch, figured i should do it right . awesome BTW compared to PC. i tried to crash but have been unsuccessful lol - which is good!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    fill your hard drive up so there's only 100 MB left, and have 30 different applications open, see how that does for ya
  • Reply 5 of 5
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

fill your hard drive up so there's only 100 MB left, and have 30 different applications open, see how that does for ya

Particularily, macos X wouldn't allow that, macos X would give you slight hints that you probably are reaching critical mass for operating, - and yes i tried it

Given that, don't confuse him, be nice.