33GB missing

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have instaled a 160GB hard drive in my audio digi 466 G4. I'm runing OSX 10.3, It will only see's 127GB of the drive. I belive there is some sort of firmware patch that will let me see all my drive.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Are you sure it is 160 gigabytes or is it 160 billion bytes? That could explain some of the difference...
  • Reply 2 of 8
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    no, this is a problem with older machines being unable to address memory space over 128GB.

there's nothing wrong with either your drive, or your computer. however, your computer won't be able to see that entire 160GB.

iirc, you can buy a third party card, or might be able to put the drive in an external firewire enclosure that can address large drives and it will work, but it's not going to work for you internally.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I'm just taking a stab at this -- I don't know much about this drive size limitation issue -- but could it be that the older Mac can't read a volume that's over 128 GB, as opposed to a drive that's over 128 GB? If it's a matter of volume size and not drive size, could partitioning allow you to use the full drive as two or more separate volumes?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    No, partitioning doesn't help. The drive controller can only see 128 GB (about 137 billion bytes).

A Firewire case for the drive will run you about $30-$40. Or you could get an ATA/100 or ATA/133 PCI card for about $50 to allow you to install the drive internally. However, make sure if you get an ATA card that it is Mac compatible - most aren't, unfortunately.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca

you could get an ATA/100 or ATA/133 PCI card

Make sure its UltraATA/100 as ATA/100 alone is not enough.

Dobby.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

Make sure its UltraATA/100 as ATA/100 alone is not enough.

Dobby.

They are synonymous. And besides, the speed of the ATA bus doesn't necessarily determine if it can address more than 128 GB or not. The Quicksilver 2002 PowerMacs have an ATA/66 bus, but it has 48-bit addressing so it can read the full capacity of a large hard drive. I haven't heard of any ATA/100 or ATA/133 cards that don't support large drives, so you may as well be on the safe side and use one of those, but there are ATA/66 cards that support large hard drives.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    dr deepdr deep Posts: 63member
    Thaks guys but i think i found the solution in software. For anyone interested check out this site. http://www.speedtools.com/ATA6.html
  • Reply 8 of 8
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr Deep

Thaks guys but i think i found the solution in software. For anyone interested check out this site. http://www.speedtools.com/ATA6.html

ahh, the driver is $25? there's a good chance you'd be able to buy a PCI card that offers the same support for the same price, which would also let you have another 4 drives in your machine, but that's an interesting link.