Sasser author arrested

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The author of the Sasser Virus, a 18 years old german boy have been arrested yesterday.

The Sasser virus has fucked thousand hundreds of computers around the world. I expect that this little fucker will be punished the way he deserve ...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    meh

Bill Gates should be arrested as a coconspirator.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    eds66eds66 Posts: 119member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

The author of the Sasser Virus, a 18 years old german boy have been arrested yesterday.

The Sasser virus has fucked thousand hundreds of computers around the world. I expect that this little fucker will be punished the way he deserve ...

I just hope it's the actual creator of the virus and not some skript-kiddie, who released the virus into the wild out of sheer stupidity. That's the MO of most intelligent virus writers. They write the virus and wait for some idiot to let it loose.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    cybermonkeycybermonkey Posts: 604member
    The kid will probably get a few months doing community service and a job with the government .

Can't remember his name but there was a lad similar age over here in the UK that hacked websites for credit card numbers (He even got Bill gates number)

He ended up with cmmunity service and banned from owning a computer, but has had offers from the mafia for work. So don;t hold your breath that this kid will get a tough sentence! EU laws are really twisted.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

I completely agree. This kid has done quite a bit of damage and should be punished. Perhaps it is time for the US to start asking for extradition for people who do computer damage on US soil so that we can give them a sentence that fits with the damage they have done. European criminal justice systems are weighted too heavily in favor of being nice to the criminal.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    cybermonkeycybermonkey Posts: 604member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

I completely agree. This kid has done quite a bit of damage and should be punished. Perhaps it is time for the US to start asking for extradition for people who do computer damage on US soil so that we can give them a sentence that fits with the damage they have done. European criminal justice systems are weighted too heavily in favor of being nice to the criminal.

I wouldn't exactly say nice, more a believer in individual and human rights.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Which means kid's gloves for criminals.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cybermonkey

I wouldn't exactly say nice, more a believer in individual and human rights.

I guess that victims matter less human than criminals. How egalitarian (sarcasm). The kid did millions of dollars of damage to the world economy, so he should get more than a slap on the wrists. If I wrote a virus that, oh say, deleted all the .doc and .txt files in the world, would I be deserving of only a few years in jail?

BTW, We believe in human rights over here as well.

And for the Iraq prison scandal, well, let the court martials begin. Time to give the people who did these things some time in Leavenworth.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    I just fixed a computer with this worm... it was ugly. When I arrived the computer would just hang after the Windows splash screen... it took a repair install just to get the damn thing useable. Then we backed up all my clients files on to CDs, which was hard because it would want to restart within a few minutes of use. (a service that the worm infected (lsass.exe or something) was corupt and windows gave you a timer to save your work and reboot.) Lastly after the backup was made we had to do a clean install because the patch from microsoft did not fix the problem... it was one of the new varients.

Whatever... I made 50 bucks for my work. It took some time to compleat but most was spent talking to my client on non-computer related subjects. She is my age and hot, so it was time well wasted.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Ironically, I see these viri as being relatively harmless in comparison to numerous worst-case scenarios. Imagine, if a government or terrorist group assembled a team of highly paid elite programmers with the expressed purpose of doing as much damage as possible to another nation. Imagine, a virus that explicitly attacked emergency response systems, air traffic control systems, power grids, traffic lights, reservoir overflow controls, and medical databases, beside just your run of the mill financial sabotage.

If the world wakes up and realizes that cyber terrorism is inevitable, perhaps something can be done. A business culture will likely develop that is more willing to spend money on securing information and control systems. Also, software development houses will likely become more focused on producing secure systems, unlike the products currently coming out of Redmond.

Yes, ironically, this kid may have saved the world billions of dollars and countless lives. Not that he should go unpunished... but it is rather ironic.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    durandaldurandal Posts: 277member
    Quote:

Originally posted by EDS66

I just hope it's the actual creator of the virus and not some skript-kiddie, who released the virus into the wild out of sheer stupidity. That's the MO of most intelligent virus writers. They write the virus and wait for some idiot to let it loose.

Well, he most probably IS the real author. The police and prosecution department in our area (my parents' home is just a 30-minute drive from where the guy was arrested) has found pretty convincing evidence that he (and perhaps some other guys from his school) are the creators not only of Sasser but also of the Netsky virus.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Ironically, I see these viri as being relatively harmless in comparison to numerous worst-case scenarios. Imagine, if a government or terrorist group assembled a team of highly paid elite programmers with the expressed purpose of doing as much damage as possible to another nation. Imagine, a virus that explicitly attacked emergency response systems, air traffic control systems, power grids, traffic lights, reservoir overflow controls, and medical databases, beside just your run of the mill financial sabotage.

hey, a story like that you could sell to hollywood
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

hey, a story like that you could sell to hollywood

hackers 2?