iBook won't recognize internal CD-ROM

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Quick history:

Original 300Mhz blueberry iBook with tray-load CD-ROM. Last fall, I was prepping to install 10.3 and a firmware update didn't take. After zapping the PRAM and resetting the PMU, I was able to boot up again -- but from that point forward, the iBook didn't see the CD-ROM drive.

I took it to the genius bar at the local Apple Store... totally mystified, and were themselves unable to fix the firmware problem. Options were send it in for repairs (for free, just b/c they were nice -- thanks guys!), but that would have meant losing my computer for a week. No go. I bought a 17' Powerbook and forewent the repair.

General consensus was that the botched firmware update => CD-ROM problems, which made sense to me. So out of curiousity, I recently attempted to install the firmware *again* (figuring that if you run into a brick wall often enough, sometimes it will fall down). Guess what? The update ran successfully. No idea why or how.

Unfortunately, the iBook still doesn't detect the CD-ROM drive...

Any idea why? I find it hard to believe that the hardware would crap out at the exact same time that the firmware update failed, and that the two events are coincidence. Also, any advice on how to get the silly thing to mount, aside from plying it with alcohol?

Thanks very, very much in advance.