Went mad this morning - north and south are gone

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I know what I did. But I don't really know how. This morning I just wanted to format my new CF-Card... but by some mistake I formatted my external 80 GB FireWire Disk. Danm... I must have been dreaming. Can't believe it. It is the first time for years.

So, now in detail. I did not really "format" (iI used the apple DiscUtility without the overwrite - function) the disk with two partitions (north and south)... as I found out with Norton SytemWorks for OSX, that the data is still there, but all the names have vanished. The data is recoverable and I am sure that I will get most of the data back... physically. But it will take some time to get it all sorted.

Any serious suggestions how to restore the old structure?

I am using OSX 10.2.8 on a G4 Quicksilver. And this data ist really important to me. Some years of hard work and and lots of memories in pixels.

Helping minds wanted here in Remscheid/Germany

Yours, Jochen

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    cybermonkeycybermonkey Posts: 604member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mausmade

I know what I did. But I don't really know how. This morning I just wanted to format my new CF-Card... but by some mistake I formatted my external 80 GB FireWire Disk. Danm... I must have been dreaming. Can't believe it. It is the first time for years.

So, now in detail. I did not really "format" (iI used the apple DiscUtility without the overwrite - function) the disk with two partitions (north and south)... as I found out with Norton SytemWorks for OSX, that the data is still there, but all the names have vanished. The data is recoverable and I am sure that I will get most of the data back... physically. But it will take some time to get it all sorted.

Any serious suggestions how to restore the old structure?

I am using OSX 10.2.8 on a G4 Quicksilver. And this data ist really important to me. Some years of hard work and and lots of memories in pixels.

Helping minds wanted here in Remscheid/Germany

Yours, Jochen

Diskwarrior should be able to do it.

P.S. make backups
  • Reply 2 of 5
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Oh man! I feel for you. I did that too. I copied all my stuff from my 200GB drive from my 250GB drive and was going to format my 200GB drive because it had some problems. Unfortunatly, I had my 250GB selected at the time. I found out what I did too late. I ran TTP4, Norton, and even TTP3 from OS9 on another computer but couldn't recover the data. I was bummed.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    mausmademausmade Posts: 3member
    Thanks for your compassion. I still don't know what to do... Have to do some calls... most people tell me that professional aid is very expensive. I will run all that Norton stuff to see what there is to recover. I will let you know.

See you,

Jochen
  • Reply 4 of 5
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    If you zeroed all data, did a low-level format, etc, you're data is essentially gone. If not, then you may be able to recover it, as the files haven't actually been erased from the disk, but the data structure has been blanked.

So, you'll be having a hell of a time in the next few days re-organizing everything if you manage to bring it back. Good luck.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    mausmademausmade Posts: 3member
    No, I did not low-level format the disc. And as I see on my ibook there are some 10.000 files to recover. Reorganizing all that is the tribute to my bad backup habits. I just bought a 160 GB disk for future backups...

Nevertheless. It's a mess. I will try to forget my admin password, and let someone else to these jobs.

Thank you,

Jochen