VPC 6.1 and USB flash memory

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am currently taking programming classes at college and I need a way to carry files back and forth from the computer lab and my powermac at home.

Here's the situation:

The computer at the lab is a dell running win XP.

My computer at home is PMac G4 running VPC with Win 2000.

Since the computer lab doesn't allow e-mail and my G4 doesn't have a floppy drive, I got a USB flash memory device (Centon datastick) to carry my files back and forth.

However, the datastick is not recognized by VPC. It works fine on the dell and it works fine on OS X. But VPC would not recognize it.

When I startup VPC with the stick plugged in, OS X will forcefully unmount the volume and it will disappear from the OS X desktop. For a moment, Win 2000 will attempt to read the datastick but it will fail and not mount.

Even if I play with the USB preferences, the same deal. It will attempt to mount but won't.

If I plug it in after VPC is started up, it will mount on OS X but not VPC. When I try to manually mount it on VPC, OS X unmounts but VPC still won't mount.

The datastick does not need any drivers for either win 2000 and XP so none is available for me to download.

Anyone else experience this? Any fixes?

Edit: I don't want to copy the files from the OS X desktop to VPC because it places a lot of OS X-related directory files in the folders. That confused my professor when she saw it. I want to be able to open the files directly in VPC.

Comments