TiPB + DVI -> ADC + ADC 17inch CRT .. will it work?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi all.. I currently have a G4-Gigabit Ethernet, with Apple's 17 inch CRT ADC display. I'm wondering if anyone on here is in a position to see if it works with Apple's DVI -> ADC adapter, so it can be used with a TiPB with DVI-I.

ADC is a superset of DVI-I, and USB + 28V. DVI is a superset of DVI and VGA. Apple's DVI to ADC converter takes a USB input and power intput and makes an ADC socket where apple's LCD monitors can be plugged in. Apple's website seems to want to forget about the CRT ADC monitor, and it's in their best interests to sell more LCD monitors, however here in Australia, a 15 inch LCD monitor from Apple will cost me about 40% of the price of the tiBook (800mhz!) and will only do 1024x768. The LCD's run off the DVI signal in DVI-I, and the 17 inch CRT runs off the VGA signal in DVI-I. Would apple go to the trouble of designing out the 7 wires needed to run one?

I want to keep my 1600x1200 capable 17 inch ADC CRT and use my TiPB with it. Does anyone here work somewhere with access to a TiPB (DVI), DVI to ADC converter, and a 17 inch CRT, and be able to test the combination for me?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,020member
    That was a little long winded, but here goes:

The new PB should support 1600 X1200. According to Apple's website the video card has:

"Support for dual display and video mirroring: Millions of colors on the built-in display and on an external display at up to 2048 by 1536 pixels"

As for the connection, there is no logical reason why it wouldn't work. (not unless someone else can point something out).
  • Reply 2 of 3
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I'm pretty sure the ADC adapter will still carry both the analog and digital signal.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    <a href="http://docs.info.apple.com/article2.html?artnum=75286&amp;SaveKCWindowURL=http: %2F%2Fkbase.info.apple.com%2Fcgi-bin%2FWebObjects%2Fkbase.woa%2Fwa%2FSaveKCToHomePa ge&searchMode=Expert&kbhost=kbase.info.apple.com&s howButton=false&randomValue=100&showSurvey=true&se ssionID=anonymous|132782377" target="_blank">This Apple Support Page</a>indicates that the CRT Studio Display is NOTcompatible with a Powerbook DVI and the Apple DVI-ADC adapter. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news.