What was your 1st car, or what is going to be your first car?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am going to get the brand new Chevy Colorado Z71 crew cab. I-5 Vortec 3500 220 HP engine. How about you?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'm driving my very first car that I'VE owned. It's a 2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS with a 2.7L V6. A good, reliable first car. I'm thinking I'll get a hybrid next.
  • Reply 2 of 55
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    My first car was a 10th anniversery Trans Am with a T-400 tranny, and a 403. I yanked the olds big block and slid a 455 in its place. I built the 455 to 73 SD 455 specs and man was (is I still have it) quick. Imagine a sexy silver car with a bad ass growl, a bitchen firebird decal on the hood, a functional shaker scoop, and T-Tops. Chicks dig T-Tops just ask Sally Fields.
  • Reply 3 of 55
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member

Driven

Owned
  • Reply 4 of 55
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Mine. 1976 Grand Prix.

• Reply 5 of 55
    Me and the girlfriend are looking at a Toyota Prius. Any car nerds want to chime in on that thing? Worth it? Crap? It'll be our first.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Driven

Owned

Are you burning oil? Or, is all that smoke from a fog machine?
  • Reply 7 of 55
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    Chevy Chevette with manual steering!
  • Reply 8 of 55
    gspottergspotter Posts: 342member

A used 1980 Volkswagen Polo, 50 hp.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I drive, and own, a 1994 Dodge Caravan, and have recently aquired an 84 Honda Motorcycle.

I bought the Dodge from my parents when they got a new car, and the motorcycle from a friend of a friend. The bike is a little more fun to drive than the ol' Dodge, but I get good gas milage in the van, and it hauls a lot of equipment, which is really helpful when I play shows and stuff (I'm in a few bands off and on).
  • Reply 10 of 55
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by faust9

Are you burning oil? Or, is all that smoke from a fog machine?

I forget what I did to that van-- but I remember the mechanic saying something about driving it without radiator fluid-- perhaps the engine blew up? Yeah, we drove that one right to the junkyard.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    skipjackskipjack Posts: 263member
    Used 1969? Fiat 850 (that's 850 cc)
  • Reply 12 of 55
    homhom Posts: 1,098member

Yes, that was my first car. It was a 1986 Checker Marathon. One of the last 50 built. It was my grandparents who gave it to my parents, who gave it to me as a graduation present. Eventually I sold it because it was costing me almost $1,000 a month to maintain it.

I think that even be my old car in the photo. I had specially painted that shade of blue. It was not a factory color so I am pretty sure that was my car.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    1. Beat up van

2. Beat up ford ranger

3. 3rd gen RX-7

I don't really count the van and ranger since I essentially just borrowed them for a few months as they were on their way to the scrap yard. Though the pickup was actually pretty fun. I would entirely consider getting a compact pickup again. Very useful for moving stuff, extremely cheap, and actually good on gas.

Unless you're going to tow stuff or be a poser, there's no reason to get a big pickup, such as the Z71 you're talking about. What I really want is a REPU!
  • Reply 14 of 55
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    My first car was a '70 Nova that was as old as me! 200k city miles on it to boot.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    From my reply to this thread, over a year ago:

Quote:

1970 Volvo 144. It was 10 years old with 79,000 miles on it when I bought it for $1200. I put another 100,000 on it. Just like photo only sky blue in color.

• Reply 16 of 55
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    My first car was this decrepid old orange Beemer which burned about as much oil as gas. I think I owned it for all of two months before I sold it for a '87 Burgandy Scirocco. To be honest I think I had my pilot's licence before I actually owned my first car...

C.
  • Reply 17 of 55
    hmm....

The first car that was mine to drive (dad actually owned it) was a used Ford Fiesta... that was the car I got to drive in high-school, and got a job delivering pizza's in it. It may not have been "cool", but it beat not having a car!

The first vehicle that I actually owned was an '85 F-150 (though i didn't get it 'till about '90.)

Both were driven until they died.
  • Reply 18 of 55
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

From my reply to this thread, over a year ago:

He, he... my reply from the same thread ;-)

Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

My first car was a 1984 Opel Rekord 2.0 S. Think it did 0-100 kph in about 12-13 seconds. Not exactly WRC-fast.

Now I own a 02 VW Passat. I could include a picture but I think most people here knows what they look like
  • Reply 19 of 55
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    my first car was a '76 VW Dasher wagon/variant/estate. Great car.

and then a mercury topaz, and an even older olds phoenix. what a tank -- great car for boston/grad school; if it had been stolen or totalled, no biggie.

and then many years w/o wheels.

now I'm driving an '03 Passat wagon/variant/estate. Great car, quite a bit more dudded-up.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    '75 Dodge Dart with a Slant 6. Black body, white top, electric blue interior. Looked like a police car on acid.