iBook Picture Quality problems?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi all,

I've just received my first iBook, and I can't say that I'm happy with the picture quality. I used the portfolio option to have one picture per page, and the quality of each image (bar one) is worse than when I print using my own HP940c. Skin tone is poor, I can see 'pixelation' etc. It looks like all bar one picture were compressed prior to e-mailing to the printer company.

What is odd about the single exception is that it was a picture I cropped, and yet the printed version is larger than it's natural size. All the other pictures were their natural size after import from the camera.

Anybody else have this problem? Is there something I have missed?

Cheers,

David

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    I'm not really clear on what you're saying here. Are you saying that the image quality on the LCD display of your iBook is poor? or are you saying the print quality of something you're printing off your iBook is poor?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    imac davidimac david Posts: 286member
    Hi,

sorry, explained poorly.

I'm talking about the photo album you can buy through iPhoto. The image quality of the printed photos is poorer than if i just print the picture myself. But i like the bound volume!

Cheers,

David
  • Reply 3 of 3
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I don't think he means the iBook as in the notebook computer, I think he's talking about the iPhoto book printing service.

Did you see any warning symbols next to your pictures in the Book layout view in iPhoto? It's supposed to warn you if a picture is to low-res (hence the pixellation) by displaying a yellow triangle with an exclamation point right next to the offending picture. Otherwise, it would be the printer's problem assuming there's nothing funky going on with the pictures themselves. iPhoto will enlarge or reduce an image's dimensions (and thus reduce or increase the dpi respectively) to fit the book layout you've chosen.

I'm not sure about what's wrong with the color rendering. Is the color mode of the pictures RGB? That's what the book printer is expecting themn to be. Also, do you know what the color profile is for the images? SRGB? There might be something funky going on with the color profiles that's distorting the color on their end.