Using a Novell Network with OS X?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey guys- I started my internship today and I wanted to use my computer and not the crappy dell they had. So I asked the IS people to help me set it up.

It turns out they're using a Novell Network which I don't really know anything about....and they don't know anything about OS X....

I finally figured out how to log into the network using the Novell Client by Prosoft or whatever. I'm still not liking this thing. I hate the you have to have client software installed to log into the network and there isn't anything built into OS X for access to the network drives on the server....

Can you of you recommend a better way of doing this? What about groupwise access? Is there support in apple's mail or address book for these things?

Any help and tips would be appreciated!

-taco

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    not sure about groupwise, but i know here at the U of MN we can log into our novel shares via the Connect option in OSX.

you just need to go to connect, then type in the name of the share you want to access.

ex: users.umn.edu

iirc, they need to change some of the password requirements on their end to get it to work with OSX, but i'm not sure what exactly off hand, i didn't set them up.

it can be done though.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    AARRRGGHH. Prosoft have got to be one of the worst mac developers i have ever had the misfortune of dealing with. awful products, terrible customer support and service...

back in the old days a prosoft client was the only way to connect to a netware server on a mac. but now you can do it with the connect command in OS X.

panther is far more stable at holding a connection than jag. jag used to 'drop' the connection at random time intervals, whereas panther seems more solid.

at the server end the netware machine needs the AFP module installed and running. then you can just connect as you would any other shared/network drive.

though i've had horrific problems in the past with users

(logged into X as a user 'foo' , then log into netware server as user 'bar'. then watch as files and folders get assigned to the mac username and not the netware one...)
  • Reply 3 of 11
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Adium does Novell chat protocol stuff.

I've been part of Novel Groupwise beta testing (its now an "open" beta if you really really want to give it a try) and they have a Java client.

FYI... here is a part of the FAQ they spit back and forth:

Quote:

1. Make sure you are using the latest GW Client. As of this writing,

it was Friday, Feb 27. Go to:

http://beta.novell.com, click on Public, and fill out the appropriate

information.

2. Once downloaded, make sure that extract it using Stuffit Expander

8.02 or 6.5, NOT 8.0. Go to:

http://www.stuffit.com/mac/expander/updates.html

to download the latest updates.

3. Do not copy and past the extracted application into your

Applications folder, but move it in there by dragging it.

4. If the client fails with an "Uncaught Exceptions in Main Method" or

"JavaApplicationsStub" error, suspect a font problem (this was the

situation in 3 different cases), especially if you see reference to

something about fonts in the error logs, found here:

/private/var/tmp/console.log

~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/JavaApplicationStub.crash.log (where ~

refers to username)

a) Make sure that fonts are enabled. Some applications, such as Adobe

Creative Suite, require fonts to be disabled in order to installed.

b) Remove all the fonts but the main systems fonts, and try to start

the client. In one case, the "Minimum Symbol Set" font found in OS 9's

font folder was the problem. You'll have to add fonts in systematically

to identify the font(s) causing the problem. There can easily be 5 font

folders. See:

http://www.apple.com/pro/archive/cre...sx_l25032b.pdf

for some in-depth information.

5. Try clearing the JAR cache via the Java plugin in the

Applications\\Utilities folder.

6. Is the Application being launched by a user with reduced privs?

7. Have you run a "repair privs" from the Disk Utility?

8. Are any other Java applications working?

9. Is the App running from within the "Applications" folder or,

another location?

I once attached my old iBook (10.2.8 at the time) onto the Network here and it worked fine.

Groupwise is the most HORRIBLE email client ever... but... *sigh*... it works..
  • Reply 4 of 11
    cybermonkeycybermonkey Posts: 604member
    going slightly off topic, But isn't there a slight problem with panther connecting to NFS? I read briefly somewhere that a linux machine needs it's kernel patched to be able to connect via panther's finder.

Any thoughts on this, as i shall be setting up a linux file server soon and i'd rather use NFS than SMB.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    As far as GroupWise mail goes if they are running an imap server you can use that with Apple's Mail app. That's what I do. It's not 100% compatible but for email it's just fine.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cybermonkey

going slightly off topic, But isn't there a slight problem with panther connecting to NFS? I read briefly somewhere that a linux machine needs it's kernel patched to be able to connect via panther's finder.

Any thoughts on this, as i shall be setting up a linux file server soon and i'd rather use NFS than SMB.

You need to add the insecure option to /etc/exports and restart nfs on the Linux machine.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    My old school ran a Novell network and it was the biggest pain in the **** trying to log onto it. The best I could manage was internet access and webmail - but no direct access to the directories on the network itself. With the help of the IT tech at our campus, we tried the ProSoft client, but, for some reason, it just would not drill down deep enough into the school network. It could locate the network, but never provided access to what was on it. Eventually we just gave up!

The worst thing, though, was that we were told there is a "back-end" fix that will allow Macs to log onto a Novell network but our System Admin chose not to implement it!

Additionally, we were also told that Novell 6 has OS X support built in. Our school was using Novell 5 (or a version number thereof) and it would be a while before they updated.

I'm by no means an expert in Sys Admin stuff, but this closed-mindedness on the part of our System Administrator to purposefully not allow Macs to log in really got under my skin! ****head!

These days I choose to work there as an itinerant and have no interest in trying to connect to the network anymore. However, I have a colleague who recently went the way of the Mac (after ribbing me about mine for years - hypocrite!) and he says he has access to the school network now - but he has to do it using VPC. That option does not impress me one bit - but if you want a *proven* way to access the Novell network without the pain/frustration of other methods, then maybe fooling it into thinking that you are a PC could be a "safe" way to go.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    click here

I'm not affiliated with this school, but it gives you an idea of what they're saying to connect to their Novell network.

I'm investigating the same issue before I take the plunge to buy a PB 17". I have to be able to log onto our Novell network.

Somebody told me I might need this, but I really don't see why? click here

I still have questions, but very few answers.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Novell has web based file access too. It works okay when you are logging in from home but for day to day work it would kill ya.

Of course our Novell system is so slow that the higher ups just keep all their files on the c: drive (not backed up) for faster access.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    If they run Netware 6 or later they might have NFAP (Native File A-something P-something). This allows non-Windows PCs to connect to the volume as if they were... well native.

Unfortunately, most Netware installs out there are ancient because IT managers won't pay for the upgrades (Keep what you have or migrate to Windows servers).

I want a new job...

Screed
  • Reply 11 of 11
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

If they run Netware 6 or later they might have NFAP (Native File A-something P-something). This allows non-Windows PCs to connect to the volume as if they were... well native.

Unfortunately, most Netware installs out there are ancient because IT managers won't pay for the upgrades (Keep what you have or migrate to Windows servers).

...[snip]...

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say:
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac+

Additionally, we were also told that Novell 6 has OS X support built in. Our school was using Novell 5 (or a version number thereof) and it would be a while before they updated.

PS - what job are you in that you want to leave sCreeD?