New Mac owner with Terminal problem

gongon
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Terminal just stopped accepting the lower case e and upper case P characters (it rings a bell when those characters are pressed). It's the same if I try to copy-paste either character to the Terminal. Other apps are unaffected. What the..? >_<

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

What the..? >_<

I think you should go to ~/Library/Preferences and delete com.apple.Terminal.plist.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

I think you should go to ~/Library/Preferences and delete com.apple.Terminal.plist.

Thanks for the help. The problem was actually in my .inputrc.

I had put the following in there:

# fix scandinavian characters

set convert-meta off

set input-meta on

set output-meta on

But then, I mistook .inputrc for .bash_profile. What I did was to put this in there as well:

# put gvim in the path

PATH = "$PATH:/vim/"

export PATH

This broke readline in the weird way it couldn't take 'e' and 'P'. I'm not familiar with how readline works, so I don't know how all this happened specifically. Problem fixed, anyway.

PS: damn bash didn't understand the spaces when I put the aforementioned two lines into .bash_profile... it just took me 20mins to find *that*
  • Reply 3 of 4
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Very unusual, I should say. It's good you found it yourself because, you know, not many people resort to editing scripts these days.

Yeah, and I've never shared their love for bash.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

Very unusual, I should say. It's good you found it yourself because, you know, not many people resort to editing scripts these days.

Yeah, and I've never shared their love for bash.

These are technically "startup scripts", but I wouldn't call this scripting, since it's just bare minimum settings and no controlling logic (script). For instance, I absolutely need the shell to display my native language characters as something other than '?'.

Though the problem wasn't in Terminal, I switched to xterm anyway, since it seems there is no way to get pgup/pgdn through Terminal to other processes. Those I need for scrolling log files, etc. The logs don't remain whole in the Terminal buffer because I work through the screen program. As I suspect a big percentage of other Unix people need screen, I wonder why the missing pgup/pgdn hasn't been addressed by the Terminal team.