Free Virus app for OS X ?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Is there any free virus app for OS X out there ?

I don't have any virus activity on my Mac, but I may have some (?) PC virus, and I just want to check. What do you suggest ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    do a search on limewire for Office 2004, there should be a 100k file

ummm

there are no free ones... but if you had .mac <www.mac.com> you could download one from there...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Hmm. I hope the poster of the this thread understands the above is a joke.

Anyway... no, nothing free. There's Norton Antivirus, and Virex (which comes packaged with .Mac, as mentioned).

Temporarily free, though, *is* an option. If you're feeling brave, you can try out the latest beta of Virex 7.5 here.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Hold on a sec....a mac from my knowledge can't get a PC virus since a PC virus is programmed for windows...and OSX is not windows last time I checked. So he/you might not have a "virus" per say, maybe corrupted prefs, user prefs etc...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hypoluxa

Hold on a sec....a mac from my knowledge can't get a PC virus since a PC virus is programmed for windows...and OSX is not windows last time I checked. So he/you might not have a "virus" per say, maybe corrupted prefs, user prefs etc...

Mac's can't get Windows viruses but they can pass them along.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Icon Factory released Download Check. All it does is point out applications that might be hiding as a MP3 file, ala the Trojan that Intego created to sell more virus protection software.

Does anyone else wish that Disinfectant was ported over to OSX?