17" PB for college?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I need a laptop for college, specifically an apple laptop. I can't decide whether or not to get the 17" or the 15". will the 17" really be too much of a hassle to carry around everywhere? I would like the extra screen space to work with, but I'm not sure if it's worth the cost of lugging around a massive notebook.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Absolutely not. The 17" is really not THAT much heavier or bigger than the 15". In fact, it's a lot thinner than the 15". I just upgraded to a 17" from a 15" and I carry my PB EVERYWHERE on campus. It even squeezes into my existing Brenthaven bag. I would definitely go with the 17". The extra screen real estate is well worth it and it is just fine in classes and to carry around. In fact, in the week I've had mine, I've already gotten a dozen comments about how big it is, but also how light and thin it is as well. You can't go wrong with it.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    It really came down to the screen real-estate with me as well.

The three advantages that eventually pushed me toward the 17" were:

1: 1lb and an extra inch or so isn't very much to take on for an additional 195200 pixels.

2: Only a $100 difference between similarly configured 15" and 17" powerbooks.

3: The cool factor.

=)

- Xidius
  • Reply 3 of 22
    thedustinthedustin Posts: 176member
    Defiantly the 17" I love mine !

_thedustin
  • Reply 4 of 22
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    As a college student and 1st gen PowerBook G4 owner, I would say the 17" PowerBook G4 isn't that cool at all. My TiBook weight 5.3 lbs is a bit heavy carrying around. It fits in my massager bag just fine. Remember the current 15" is slightly heavier than the 1st generation at 5.7 lbs.

I know a couple PowerBook G4 users on campus, most of them own the 12" models due to the compact size and light weight. They bring their 12" PB to class everyday. One student I know of bought the previous version of 17" PB right after Apple released the 1.33Mhz model at a closeout deal, however he never brought his PB out of his apartment after sawing him using it in Starbucks once. He also scared someone will steal his PB, he bought 2 Kensington locks.

For your own benefit, get the loaded 15" model.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    I use a 15" powerbook all over the place, including classes.

I often feel that the 15" is too big for using in class. I certainly wouldn't be able to deal with a 12" screen on my primary machine, but I really would like something smaller for taking notes. The 17" is simply too big to be putting on a desk.

It seems to me that the 15" is the happy medium. Maybe it doesn't have the biggest screen and maybe it's biggish for taking notes, but really it's just fine for essentially every situation.

Of course, someone else's experience might be totally different and it depends on how you use it and what the environment it.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I agree that the 15" is the happy medium, and with the money you'd save on it you can buy more RAM, a lock, etc. Yeah, the screen real estate of the 17" would be nice, but honestly, what do you need that extra space for?

I don't know, I guess if the 17 is for you then go for it. I'd just say to keep a tight grip on it everywhere you go, because an unusually large laptop like that will stand out in the eyes of thieves...even if it is only another inch or two larger.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Over the last four years (in law school) I have used a 4.4 lbs PowerBook 2400c and a 4.9 lbs iBook/500. If it's for carrying around to lectures, I would not consider anything but the 12-inch PowerBook. If you need more screen real estate, buy a large external LCD for when you're deskbound.

A classmate in my tax law class got a 17-incher earlier this year, and appeared to be fine with it. I wouldn't have wanted to be her. She had to carry her 17-inch PB in a separate case, in addition to many more pounds of thick law casebooks. But that's just me.

Your choice will really depend on what you will use your PowerBook for. You need to tell us what your requirements and priorities are. My recommendation for the 12-inch PowerBook assumes that you won't do any video or audio work on the run with your PowerBook.

Escher
  • Reply 8 of 22
    It all depends on what you do and what you carry your PB around in I guess. I carry mine in Brenthaven BACKPACK, and honestly, the 17" feels lighter than the 15" because the weight is like...more evenly distributed across the straps and my back...or something scientific like that. I do a lot of on-site video editing and DVD authoring, and I don't want to do all of that on my desk at home. Sometimes I do it down by the lake on a Saturday afternoon, or sitting in a Starbucks sipping caramel apple cider. But that's me. I love the screen real estate and the size. I, personally, don't notice the weight difference, and it doesn't look so huge on me since I'm 6' 3". lol
  • Reply 9 of 22
    soulcrushersoulcrusher Posts: 587member
    my 17" is gone.

i hate you all.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Come on, people! For portability the 12" powerbook is THE ONLY choice. It's currently very well powered compared to its weightier siblings and you cannot beat its size. Get it, pump up the RAM and get an external LCD (which will do you better with overall screen size anyway). The best of all worlds. It's a no brainer for something like this.

-t

full disclosure: I've got a rev. a 12" and I wouldn't trade it for a 17".
  • Reply 11 of 22
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Quote:

Originally posted by soulcrusher

my 17" is gone.

i hate you all.

And your passport.

- Xidius
  • Reply 12 of 22
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I like my 12". Fits in my lap, about the size of a 8.5x11 sheet of paper and it doesn't scare off the ladies.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    locke459locke459 Posts: 3member
    the reason i was leaning towards the 17" is because i'll be studying architecture and will be using programs such as photoshop, modeling, and CAD stuff a lot. Maybe i should just plug an extra monitor into the PB when i need the space?
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by locke459

the reason i was leaning towards the 17" is because i'll be studying architecture and will be using programs such as photoshop, modeling, and CAD stuff a lot. Maybe i should just plug an extra monitor into the PB when i need the space?

Can't plug in an extra monitor when you're in studio, or at a Starbucks, or in a library, or anywhere else on campus usually.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    zodiaczodiac Posts: 138member
    The 17" isn't that much bigger. Unless you have small desks you should be fine with a 17.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I like my 12". Fits in my lap, about the size of a 8.5x11 sheet of paper and it doesn't scare off the ladies.

no, man, something else of yours scares off the ladies.

I am going to get a 15" for college (collage), i would like the 17" but I think that is too big for me.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I always thought that Apple laptops GOT more girls than they lost
  • Reply 18 of 22
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

I always thought that Apple laptops GOT more girls than they lost

Mine is attracting women like you wouldn't believe. I won't go out in public anymore with it

Seriously though, this chick was over at my house last night (one who doesn't like Apples, mind you) and she saw it, she seemed genuinely turned on. She called it "hot sex". Than I offered to show her my other 12", she fell in love with both.

8)
  • Reply 19 of 22
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

I need a laptop for college, specifically an apple laptop. I can't decide whether or not to get the 17" or the 15". will the 17" really be too much of a hassle to carry around everywhere? I would like the extra screen space to work with, but I'm not sure if it's worth the cost of lugging around a massive notebook.

I have the 15". Never seriously considered the 17" or 12" Powerbooks, although I *did* consider the 12" iBook. I firmly believe the 12" iBook and the low end 15" Powerbook give you the most bang for your buck. You have to pay far too much for what technology you get in the high end 15" PB, and that's exactly what you *have* to get in a 17" PB, you aren't given the option of lower specs. If the "remainder price" for the additional screen size seems small between the fully loaded 15" and the 17" (as someone remarked), that's only because you're paying through the nose in the first place.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

locke459: If you will be studying architecture, picking the 12-inch definitely makes little sense. Between the 15-inch and 17-inch, I think it's a tossup. Go to a store, handle both, and decide which one you are more comfortable with.

Finally, not having to rely on an external monitor for a large desktop (i.e. 12-inch plus external monitor) does have its advantages for anyone who does visual work in the field, or has limited personal space at home (i.e. a student living in a cramped dormitory). I know at leat one pro photographer who jumped onto the first 17-inch PowerBook when it came out and uses it exclusively for all of his work because he travels a lot.

Escher