Prayers answered and miracle shots.....Faaaantastic!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Been a Lakers fan for as long as I've been watching basketball. Caught the tail end of the Magic era, then came the Jordan era, and for the last couple of years enjoyed the Shaq/Kobe, Tim Duncan era.....and I have never seen anything like what I saw tonight.

I was cussing at the Lakers for their horrible play in the 4th quarter when the Spurs overcame a 16 point lead to take a 3 point lead with 2:44 left in the game on an uber LUCKY shot from Duncan.

Duncan was way into his jump shooting motion when Shaq comes flying, extended on tim's face....Duncan re-adjusts and just flings the ball towards the basket and starts running towards the basket. He had flung the ball best he could in hopes of getting back the rebound....ball miraculously banked in. Spurs up 69-68.

tony parker then made a lay-up for a 3 point lead...Shaq answered with a 4ft shot. Spurs up by one. Play goes back and forth until kobe puts up a 21ft "prayer" (prayer being the announcer's description)....goes in with 11 seconds to go in the game. Lakers up 72-71.

Spurs ball with enough time to get the last good shot and win the game. Lakers play good defense for 5 or 6 seconds. With 5 seconds left, Duncan puts up an off-balance shot while falling down to his left with Shaq all over him.

Ball goes in...nothing but net. Duncan never even saw the ball go in as he was landing on the floor.

0.4 seconds left. Game over. Or is it? Timeouts back and forth....finally with no timeouts left and the Spurs double teaming Kobe to avoid another Kobe miracle shot, the ball goes to Derek Fisher on the left....with less than half a second left, it's not possible to set your feet and take a shot. It's basically just eough time to catch and shoot(fling?). fisher turns and flings the ball towards the basket....nothing but net!! Lakers win.

I have never seen so many "game winning" "miracle" shots. This game had 3 in the last 11 seconds. It was unbelievable. This game is an instant classic. Anyone ever seen anything of the sort in ANY sport?

Final score....Lakers 74 Spurs 73.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Here's a pic of the game winning "miracle shot".

• Reply 2 of 14
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    74-73? Was this high school?

I've lost my interest in the NBA. It's boring and sloppy. Gimme a good college game any day over an "instant classic" in the NBA.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    .4 secs and left handed to boot.

Totally insane. Scared the heck out of my wife as I bounded up jumping around the room.

I've been watching the Lakers since about 1981. That was a pretty insane shot, but the Lakers have had shots like that break their way most of the time. It use to be Kareem with a last second skyhook or Magic driving up the middle. Now it is Kobe and Shaq. Either way it is great.

These series are all pretty good this year with most being tied at 2-2. The Heat even managed to come back against Indiana.

The East will get the hell kicked out of them yet again. The Lakers might have to take on Sacramento again and what a nightmare that will be if it does come to that.

Nick
  • Reply 4 of 14
    What a party pooper. Yeah, those 45-41 college games are so entertaining. I do understand your point because I love college ball aswell...but you make it sound like college ball is high scoring...which is most definitely isn't. (This year's final was 82-73).

I will agree that the NBA has become way too defensive...the Spurs being the masters at the "boring" game....but still, as low socring as this game was, it was quite a game. Watch the highlights.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

What a party pooper.

Sorry. I meant to put a somewhere in my post.

It's not about the score for me. With a 35 second shot clock, there has to be more team play. You just don't get that with 24 seconds. You'd think that more shots per game plus an extra 8 minutes would lead to more scoring but they don't. The NBA for me is too much one-on-one stuff. Ticky-tack fouls called or no fouls at all. Plus you've got Bill Walton calling many of the games. That alone is enough to drive me to watching bowling or something....
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

.4 secs and left handed to boot.

Totally insane. Scared the heck out of my wife as I bounded up jumping around the room.

Hehe. I lost my voice from screaming too much. I went from "suicide" watch after the Lakers almost threw the game away to total ecstasy in less than a second.
    Quote:

I've been watching the Lakers since about 1981. That was a pretty insane shot, but the Lakers have had shots like that break their way most of the time. It use to be Kareem with a last second skyhook or Magic driving up the middle. Now it is Kobe and Shaq. Either way it is great.

You suck. You're gonna make me remind you of that Ralph Sampson last second shot to beat the Lakers and go to the finals.

Quote:

These series are all pretty good this year with most being tied at 2-2. The Heat even managed to come back against Indiana.

Yeah, some interesting series. Go Heat!
    Quote:

The Lakers might have to take on Sacramento again and what a nightmare that will be if it does come to that.

Nah.I don't think so. Lakers would have homecourt vs. the Kings, and compared to the Spurs, the Kings play ZERO defense. The Lakers HAVE to close it out Saturday though. No let downs.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Sorry. I meant to put a somewhere in my post.

It's not about the score for me. With a 35 second shot clock, there has to be more team play. You just don't get that with 24 seconds.

Yeah, that's a good point, but it goes both ways aswell. It helps the college game that it's much easier to score three pointers with the shorter 3 line.

I hate it when in college, teams just have guys bounce the ball at the top for 30 seconds only to then proceed to shoot a brick.
    Quote:

You'd think that more shots per game plus an extra 8 minutes would lead to more scoring but they don't. The NBA for me is too much one-on-one stuff. Ticky-tack fouls called or no fouls at all.

Good points. You know what the problem is? That the players, in college, have lost some of the fundamentals. With so much of the emphasis being placed on showing off their dunks, they've neglected mastering jumpers. That and what you said aswell: Too much one-on-one. Tell me how many pure shooters come out of college these days? Hardly any. So then they get drafted and do the same thing in the NBA with an added defensive emphasis.
    Quote:

Plus you've got Bill Walton calling many of the games. That alone is enough to drive me to watching bowling or something....

I love Walton for his wackyness. He's wayyy out there most of the time.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Hehe. I lost my voice from screaming too much. I went from "suicide" watch after the Lakers almost threw the game away to total ecstasy in less than a second.

Well the shot broke San Antonio's way last year. It was the Laker's turn.

Quote:

You suck. You're gonna make me remind you of that Ralph Sampson last second shot to beat the Lakers and go to the finals. [/B]

I didn't say ALL, I said most. Now be quiet before I lay you out like Coop was on that floor. :P

Quote:

Yeah, some interesting series. Go Heat! Nah.I don't think so. Lakers would have homecourt vs. the Kings, and compared to the Spurs, the Kings play ZERO defense. The Lakers HAVE to close it out Saturday though. No let downs. [/B]

Sacramento is a very dangerous team. Vlade is older but still crafty enough to make Shaq stay home. Meanwhile is flopping gets Shaq in foul trouble about half the time. Now they have Brad Miller as well who is quite decent. That is 12 fouls and enough minutes and points between them to work Shaq pretty hard. Then you have Peja, and Chris Webber at forward. I mean talk about inside/outside game. Peja can drain threes from anywhere and Chris Webber is basically a younger Karl Malone. Doug Christie is very good defensively and Mike Bibby owes his nice fat contract extension to how well he rips the Lakers.

It's clear how the rest of the west wants to beat the Lakers. A good power foward to make Shaq move his feet, and quick guards that work against what Jackson likes and what the Lakers have. I love Derek Fisher to death, but it is obvious that Bibby, Parker, heck even Hudson have an extra gear that he doesn't. Jackson prefers larger guards.

Sacramento has a very good power forward, a super quick point guard, is deeper, and have lots of weapons. I do believe the Lakers can take them, but it will be a very hard series for them.

Nick
  • Reply 9 of 14
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Quote:

I didn't say ALL, I said most. Now be quiet before I lay you out like Coop was on that floor. :P

Sacramento is a very dangerous team. Vlade is older but still crafty enough to make Shaq stay home. Meanwhile is flopping gets Shaq in foul trouble about half the time. Now they have Brad Miller as well who is quite decent. That is 12 fouls and enough minutes and points between them to work Shaq pretty hard. Then you have Peja, and Chris Webber at forward. I mean talk about inside/outside game. Peja can drain threes from anywhere and Chris Webber is basically a younger Karl Malone. Doug Christie is very good defensively and Mike Bibby owes his nice fat contract extension to how well he rips the Lakers.

It's clear how the rest of the west wants to beat the Lakers. A good power foward to make Shaq move his feet, and quick guards that work against what Jackson likes and what the Lakers have. I love Derek Fisher to death, but it is obvious that Bibby, Parker, heck even Hudson have an extra gear that he doesn't. Jackson prefers larger guards.

Sacramento has a very good power forward, a super quick point guard, is deeper, and have lots of weapons. I do believe the Lakers can take them, but it will be a very hard series for them.

Nick

Nick,

I agrew with you 100%!

If the Lakers can finish the series Saturday and Sacramento wins their series...it will be a tough tough challenge for the Lakers to beat the Kings.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Yeah, that Horry 3 could've turned things around, no question. And it's not like Duncan's 2 last shots weren't "prayers".

Quote:

Sacramento is a very dangerous team. Vlade is older but still crafty enough to make Shaq stay home. Meanwhile is flopping gets Shaq in foul trouble about half the time.

Yeah, the flopping is sick, but still, provided we win tomorrow, I don't really fear the Kings. Not the way the Lakers are playing team defense.
    Quote:

Now they have Brad Miller as well who is quite decent. That is 12 fouls and enough minutes and points between them to work Shaq pretty hard.

Well, that hasn't been a problem in the past.They've had plenty of fouls in the past . Although considering Adelman(do you think this poor guy has had nightly Laker nightmares for years? At Portland in the Magic years, then at Sac.)may be looking for a new job if they don't get to the finals at least, I expect a lot of hack a Shaq "ball".
    Quote:

Then you have Peja, and Chris Webber at forward. I mean talk about inside/outside game. Peja can drain threes from anywhere and Chris Webber is basically a younger Karl Malone.

Again, we've dealt with them in the past, and Webber has lost a step too.
    Quote:

Doug Christie is very good defensively and Mike Bibby owes his nice fat contract extension to how well he rips the Lakers.

Agree....but.....the Lakers have had some pretty good "practice" dealing with the pick and rolls for 2 series now. Steve Francis, then Tony Parker.
    Quote:

It's clear how the rest of the west wants to beat the Lakers. A good power foward to make Shaq move his feet, and quick guards that work against what Jackson likes and what the Lakers have.

Goes both ways. Play a power forward on Shaq at the defensive end and watch Shaq go for 40.

Quote:

I love Derek Fisher to death, but it is obvious that Bibby, Parker, heck even Hudson have an extra gear that he doesn't. Jackson prefers larger guards.

Well, no one in the conference(maybe the league) is as fast as Parker. Hudson comes close, but he's out for the year.
    Quote:

Very good is true, but he's not fresh and Malone has handled him in the past. The deeper part is debatable. Their rotation is very short. They're only playing Miller and Peeler off the bench. That's a 7 player rotation. They're bound to get tired if the series goes 7 if Bobby Jackson isn't ready to play. (Rumor is he'll be back for game 5 or 6). Now Bobby Jackson scares me, but who knows how effective he'll be coming off an injury.

Plus, we'd have home court and a rested team should the Lakers HOPEFULLY(please, please, please)close out the series vs. the Spurs tomorrow. I'm praying.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    psgamer0921psgamer0921 Posts: 393member
    Quote:

What a party pooper. Yeah, those 45-41 college games are so entertaining. I do understand your point because I love college ball aswell...but you make it sound like college ball is high scoring...which is most definitely isn't. (This year's final was 82-73).

I will agree that the NBA has become way too defensive...the Spurs being the masters at the "boring" game....but still, as low socring as this game was, it was quite a game. Watch the highlights.

How about the 101-100 Carolina vs. Duke game a couple years ago (Carolina won, might I add... 8) )
  • Reply 12 of 14
    It took them a minute to review the play because they had to call David Stern to ask him who should win.,,
  • Reply 13 of 14
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Almost as good as a tightly contested hockey game sounds like.

• Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by rogue master

It took them a minute to review the play because they had to call David Stern to ask him who should win.,,

Yeah, because for an anti-Laker conspiracy theorist, the 1000 multi-angle replays at different speeds were somehow "inconclusive".

Just for your general knowledge, it's league policy to review all close plays at the ends of quarters, halves and games. They called it good on the floor , and then upon review, the call stood.
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs Almost as good as a tightly contested hockey game sounds like

Yeah, just much more entertaining.