Music that sounds better with headphones.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
(Ok, I don't know if this is AO material or GD material but since there's no way anyone can bash Bush with this thread, there's NO WAY it's AO material )

Anyway, I'm sitting here listening to music I've heard hundreds of times before but with my Grado SR-60s on and some of this music sounds NEW. Like the last song I listened to (Hello, Goodbye), I swear I never heard that low vocal part before.

So, I guess this thread is about what music you've heard that sounds way better with headphones, esp. good ones...

I'll start:

ok computer by radiohead. If you haven't listened to this cd with good headphones, DO IT NOW. It's awesome.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    The king of all headphone albums is Dark Side Of The Moon.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

I've got that somewhere....I'll have to dig it up. (I haven't listened to it in so long because I had some sort of stomach thing going on the last time and I always get that sick feeling when I listen to it....:/)
  • Reply 3 of 18
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    I used to really dig this terre thaemlitz track on his album tranquilizer. Cool spatial stuff going on.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Wasn't there a song that had a woman getting murdered in the background. (You could hear a mufled scream or something if you had really good headphones.) I forget the artist/title. I'll try to look that up.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Wasn't there a song that had a woman getting murdered in the background. (You could hear a mufled scream or something if you had really good headphones.) I forget the artist/title. I'll try to look that up.

I think that was an urban legend. I saw it recently on some site...

Ah, here it is.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    How about all the Radiohead songs?
  • Reply 7 of 18
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    First thoughts:

1. Anything by The Books

2. Anything by The Flaming Lips
  • Reply 8 of 18
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Pretty much everything sounds better with headphones, aside from metal, which is best experienced on a set of two honkin'-big speakers. None of that frilly Bose stuff, or the puny satellites either.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

(Ok, I don't know if this is AO material or GD material but since there's no way anyone can bash Bush with this thread, there's NO WAY it's AO material )

I particularly enjoy listening to Dean techno remix songs on my headphones. I especially enjoy when Dean bashes Bush by pointing out that he dodged the draft during the Vietnam war and that Bush's tax policy hurts the middle class. By listening to these liberal rants on my French headphones I feel the angry growls and screams of Dean resonate better in my head.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Pretty much everything sounds better with headphones, aside from metal, which is best experienced on a set of two honkin'-big speakers. None of that frilly Bose stuff, or the puny satellites either.

I didn't mean just "better" but better and DIFFERENT. Like I said above, some songs, with headphones, sound new. Others just sound better. Maybe I'm not making the distinction clear. (Clear thinking in the midst of writing a dissertation doesn't happen often. )
  • Reply 11 of 18
    "The Fragile" by Nine Inch Nails sounds pretty awesome on headphones. Trent Reznor layers so much sound in the songs that you can't hear some of it on regular speakers. "The Downward Spiral" sounds pretty good on headphones also.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

Dub Side of the Moon -- Easy Allstars.

Best cover album EVER!
  • Reply 13 of 18
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Also listening with my Grado Labs SR-60's, I've found a ton of stuff that I had never heard before. Lots of Beatles songs have added layers of complexity that were lost on me before. One band that I was surprised sounded much better with the headphones is The Dandy Warhols.

C'mon, sing it with me: I never thought you'd be a junkie because heroin is so passe.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    Donald Fagen and Walter Becker are so anal about getting their music to sound perfect in the studio, so Steely Dan records always sound amazing through headphones.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    In keeping with my namesake, Father Lucifer by Tori Amos (from Boys for Pele) is amazing with headphones on. She has many songs that are much better with 'phones but that one is one of those songs that makes you say "I never heard THAT before" when you've got them on.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    man, i'd say silent all these years, tear in your hand and little earthquakes all sound different w/headphones, if you want to talk tori.

most NIN sounds better with headphones or really, really good speakers.

all of Broken sounds completely different on a set of high quality headphones or speakers relative to what you get with your average setup.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Pretty much everything sounds better with headphones, aside from metal,...

Oh, I totally disagree. No set of headphones will ever give you that chest-rattling bass of a 15" subwoofer playing PM Dawn's "I'd Die Without You" or any other bassy song. And no, I'm not one of those who only wants bass and nothing else. I'm just saying the physiological effect of sound waves on the body are also important.

The natural room reverberation of normal speakers also helps with classical and choral pieces.

Really, I think only solo instruments sound best with headphones. Hearing every nuance of a solo classical guitar or grand piano is just awesome!
  • Reply 18 of 18
    eric jeric j Posts: 43member
    Hi,

Depends a lot on the quality of your:

Music source (CD, DVD, LP, tuner etc)

Player,

Amplifier,

Headphones,

Connecting cables

Ears,

Brain,

Emotional state,