iTunes 4.5 & "The Incredibles" Trailer

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Remember how Apple always used to require QuickTime Pro to access full-screen versions of certain movie trailers? Well, things seemed to have changed a little bit. Seem that if you go here and want to see the trailer for the new Pixar flick in full-screen, iTunes 4.5 is required.

Good business move on Apple's part I'd say. For one, if they keep offering the biggest trailer sizes through iTunes then you'll make sure some people will upgrade who otherwise wouldn't. Also, it brings people to the Music Store (including people like me who still can't use it yet ). This also shows another reason why movie trailers were added to the Music Store: by making some sizes exclusive, you will draw in people who might stay and take a look around.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    damn, gabid, you beat me to the punch!

now here's the mind-bender for all you conspiracy-theorists out there...

you have rumors of ipod with some sort of video output capabilities, and now itunes 4.5/quicktime 6.5 becoming conduits for quicktime video.

convergence? was this planned all along? hmmm...
  • Reply 2 of 4
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I never understood why full screen was a pro feature anyway, I can see chargeing for the encoders and other things that QT pro brings to the table but this is one area where sad to say even REAL beats apple, they offer full screen for free, I dont need to render/re-encode/anything else in pro, but why must I pay to play local content on the full screen?

for streams it is fine for apple not to allow full screen outside of pro, but for local content? 29.99 is too much for full screen, maby they could sell full-screen keys for like 5.99 or 10.99, but 30$ and you need to re-buy for each version, I will live without pro...for noe.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    $30 doesn't only get you full-screen playback. Sheesh.

iTunes 4.5 only movie trailers isn't about convergence, but iTunes 4.5 downloads. The movie trailers section is the most popular section of the Apple website. Apple wants to snag more iTMS customers by putting iTunes in Start Menus any way they can.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

$30 doesn't only get you full-screen playback. Sheesh.

iTunes 4.5 only movie trailers isn't about convergence, but iTunes 4.5 downloads. The movie trailers section is the most popular section of the Apple website. Apple wants to snag more iTMS customers by putting iTunes in Start Menus any way they can.

I agree ... but I think it would be cool if iTunes could handle all you music and video, instead of having seperate apps, why not have one that can morph into one or the other?