Major Features of Longhorn in 2009

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-5212...?tag=nefd.lede

Quote:

Advanced search features that Gates has termed the "Holy Grail" of Longhorn, the next major version of Windows, won't be fully in place until 2009, Bob Muglia, the senior vice president in charge of Windows server development, told CNET News.com.

The technology, called WinFS, is an add-on the Windows file system that Microsoft says will make it easier for users to find data such as documents, e-mail messages and multimedia files--no matter what their format--on local PCs and across the network.

Microsoft does plan to include WinFS in the client version of Longhorn, which is expected to ship by mid-2006. And Muglia said WinFS will be included in the server version of Longhorn, slated to debut in 2007. However, "some of the functionality of WinFS and some of the scenarios may be limited in terms of what it can do. I don't know that we will have all of the scale to the level where we would like to have it, so that you could use it for very high-volume enterprise servers," he said.

This is just another great chance for Apple to swoop in, pump up advertising , and with Mac OS X double its market share. Everything is in place (brand recognition of making good products such as the iPod and iTunes) , a swoop is all that is needed. Isn't Apple reportedly working on something that would match this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Good Lord! 2009??? We'll have MRAM by then! Any company that takes 6+ years to put out a piece of software doesn't deserve to be a business.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

"Three years is a long time in the development world. I would expect...more clarification on what we're going to get," said Gillen.

Microsoft's release schedule ? and choice of features ? is partially motivated by its Software Assurance licensing program, which includes the option to upgrade to new release as part of an annuity contract, Gillen said. Customers pay an annual fee to the program to get regular updates. "A lot of customers measure the success of (Software Assurance) on whether they get an upgrade or not," he said.

This means that, as always, Microsoft's management isn't going to let developers do their work properly. With such an attitude you can expect any degree of shittiness from their future products.

Managers must understand that they are not gods in whose hands is the power; they are only to serve their company and its employees.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Here is some of the stuff in it now..

http://www.extremetech.com/slideshow...o=2&i=1,00.asp

See that one and the next few pics...

Anything look familiar to you guys?

For f#@*s sake !
  • Reply 4 of 13
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Casting soft shadows?!?! COOL!!! Microsoft ROCKS. If only Apple could get their ass in gear and figure out how to do cool stuff like this.

And they've got us on the ropes with those semi-transparent windows AND the integrated pop-up blocker in IE. You'd think Apple would build that in to Safari.

Come on, guys!

And I'm really glad to see Microsoft getting serious about security. Up until now has all been a dry test run and a bit of an inside joke then, right?

Why, oh why is this company the monster it is? Can someone please explain this to me? I'd love to have a time machine, just once. I'd go back and erase Apple from existence...JUST to see how Microsoft would be doing. I honestly believe it would not be the giant it is had Apple never existed and there never was that early connection/relationship.

Does anyone here, be honest now, truly believe Windows would a) even exist and/or b) look the way it's beginning to look, if not for Apple?

This isn't fanboy hysterics either. I'm dead serious.

Had OS X never come along (and Apple just stayed with the OS 9/Platinum look all this time), do you really think anyone at Microsoft would've considered the notion of shadowed and transparent windows? Or if they DID, that it would've gotten past the initial approval stage? Honestly?

I seriously, seriously, seriously doubt it.

"What in the HELL is that crap around those windows, Peterson? This ain't *#%@ing art school, so knock it off! We're designing operating systems here, got it? Jeez...shadows my ass. Hey, look at Apple...do THEY have shadows on their windows? No, they don't! So why should we, numbnuts? Get back to work and don't ever let me catch you monkeying around like that again. If you want to make stuff look cute, go work for Adobe! Remember...we imitate, not innovate! Learn it or hit the bricks!"

• Reply 5 of 13
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

..."What in the HELL is that crap around those windows, Peterson? This ain't *#%@ing art school, so knock it off! We're designing operating systems here, got it? Jeez...shadows my ass. Hey, look at Apple...do THEY have shadows on their windows? No, they don't! So why should we, numbnuts? Get back to work and don't ever let me catch you monkeying around like that again. If you want to make stuff look cute, go work for Adobe! Remember...we imitate, not innovate! Learn it or hit the bricks!"

Wow, Mr. Burns works at MS now? so the whole powerplant thing fell through, poor guy...
  • Reply 6 of 13
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Burns?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    D'oh!
  • Reply 8 of 13
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    windows got big because it was apple OS that could run on anything x86, and since x86 has always been invariably cheaper... you do the math.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Burns?

When I read that, all I could think of was Mr Burns talking to the professor.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Yah you can see sooooo much of each of those windows.. M$ sux.. and I dont say that cause they cant do anything with out copying or imitating, just they really really suck.. ya'll know?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Boy, that's a problem, that one. C'mon, there really are talented people at MS, they must be able to do better. Can you at least "sift" through the pile of windows one by one? Better yet, make it like the now infamous "piles" patent that Apple has and sift through files like this, not just open windows. Er, except they might need to license it.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Quote:

Come on, guys!

Yeah it sucks and it's really annoying but think of it this way....we've had most of this stuff for how long? When does Longhorn come out? How many more iterations of OS X will we have by then? Yeah...see now doesn't that make you feel better?

I can't wait to see what we have in OS X by 2006. MS can't even keep up! It's great!

I'm going to send those pics to the other guys in my IT department with just this text:

"Coming to Windows in 2006, here today in OS X".